Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

August 12th, 2015 01:00

Windows 10 upgradability Inspiron 15R 5520

Hi

I bought a Dell 15R 5520 new from Dell Australia in November 2012. It has a 3rd gen Core i7 processor, it’s been upgraded to 8gb of RAM and thus should be able to run Windows 10.

However, when I click the Windows upgrade option all I ever get is “We’re validating Windows 10 for your PC. While upgrades have started for most PCs, we’re continuously working with our partners to ensure that even more PCs work well with Windows 10. Microsoft recommends that you upgrade only after you get your upgrade notification.”

After waiting patiently for the green light I decided to check the Dell website to find out what the holdup was, and received the impression that:

1. Only a limited number of Dell models have been approved for Windows 10, and mine is not on the list (although the 5521 is).
  2. If your machine’s not on the list you dip out, Dell does not intend releasing Windows 10 drivers for them.
  3. By following some convoluted procedure you can install Windows 10 but if you do you may encounter serious problems such as losing your audio or screen brightness control.

I call on someone from Dell to confirm whether or not these impressions are correct.

If they are, I find it incredible that Dell does not provide Windows 10 support for such a recent model and I believe customers are entitled to take appropriate action against the company.

If my information is not correct, would Dell please advise when we might be able to upgrade to Windows 10?

Thank you

Dr Ewan Hoozami

August 13th, 2015 01:00

This is true, we might consider low grading Dell PDs if Dell does not come up with a solution soon. Most PC vendors should keep support for a minimum of 5 years

16 Posts

August 13th, 2015 05:00

Thanks for the support. I've written to the CEO Dell Australia re this problem, and I'll report back what they have to say, if anything.

If enough of those similarly affected make some noise, maybe we'll get some action from Dell on this.

Ewan

10 Posts

August 20th, 2015 09:00

Hi Dr Ewan, 

I am Hanson using the same laptop with 6gb ram. i purchased a windows 10 pro. It is working perfectly. Install chipset driver& touch driver for win8.1 in windows 10. then update windows 10, u will get all other drvers.

16 Posts

August 20th, 2015 17:00

Hi Hanson

Thanks for letting me know. I'd be interested in hearing from any other 5520 owners with good or bad stories on the Win 10 update.

I might hang back for a while, but will try the update one day.

Ewan

5 Posts

August 24th, 2015 21:00

Hi,

I am responding for the first time on one of these community forums, so please forgive me in advance if I stuff up the appropriate etiquette.

I also have an Inspiron 15 R 5520 and having the same issues as Dr Hoozami in trying to upgrade to windows 10.  I find it incredible that Dell can simply not provide the requied drivers to enable the upgrade.  The impression I am getting is that they are simply not bothering with this model.  It does not bode well for Dell when I need to actually purchase a new computer.

Any how I just wanted to vent my frustration on this site.  Now I will look forward to finding a direct contact at Dell and use snail mail to try and add to their traffic.

Thanks all

Ross

10 Posts

August 25th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

I am Hanson Using the same pc. I purchased win 10 pro and it is working perfectly on my PC. I will give one suggestion. Just install windows 10 pro trail version and update. then u will receive display drivers and some. then download  chipset and touch drivers from dell site for windows 8.1 and install. check its is working or not. If it is not working u can go back to older version

definitely it is going to work. i am saying from my experiance

5 Posts

August 25th, 2015 21:00

Thanks Hanson for your reply. It most appreciatde.

Do you happen to know if this fix will work on Windows 8 for home?

Thanks again

Ross

10 Posts

August 26th, 2015 07:00

Hi Ross,

I am saying frankly... i was using windows 8.1 pro crack version. so i did  not upgrade. i downloaded iso file of win 10 pro and formatted 'c' drive. then i installed win10 . if u are more familiar with things . do it . otherwise ask someone to help. sorry for my bad English. I am from india. if have more doubt i will try to  help u..

Regards,

Hanson

9 Posts

August 26th, 2015 07:00

I too have Inspiron 15R 5520 and am wanting to migrate to Windows 10. We have waited a month now for the verified drivers for this model to allow a working update to the latest operating system.

Please Dell, tell us whether this will ever be available for this laptop or not. If the updated drivers will be available eventually I may wait it out but, if there are no plans to make the correct driver updates to allow this laptop to install Windows 10, I will purchase a new laptop with it preinstalled.

In other words, just let us users know so we can make our decision. I for one am tired of waiting and not getting any solid answers to this question.

You are losing customers the longer this situation is dragged out.

10 Posts

August 26th, 2015 08:00

all drivers of win 8.1 will perfectly with win 10.

no need to install network, wifi, bluetooth, audio drivers in win 10. it is already there.

if u update windows automatically install display drivers. u need to install only chipset and touch drivers from dell's website

10 Posts

August 26th, 2015 08:00

9 Posts

August 27th, 2015 04:00

Thank You Hanson, I will give this a try.

To reiterate, after forcing the Windows 10 upgrade, the video driver and chipset drivers will need to be installed for 8.1 from Dells site. I do not have a touch screen so I should be able to omit the touch drivers.

X

16 Posts

August 27th, 2015 09:00

Upgrade ok but funtion audio not working, audio max not working :( Sometime wifi network hang on :(

August 27th, 2015 19:00

I have downloaded the free Windows 10. Unfortunately I lost all audio. I have tried everything I can think of but no luck yet.

9 Posts

August 28th, 2015 04:00

I did the free upgrade on my 15r 5520 yesterday and all is working good, I first made sure all drivers were up to date from Dell's website. The important one is the chipset driver. I then added the OS upgrade registry and checked for updates and it then downloaded and installed. Everything is working, sound, screen dims. All is good.

The registry key to add is - HKEY\LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade

New DWORD 32bit value setting the hexadecimal value to 1

No Events found!