Highlighted
hanson.d.raj
1 Copper

RE: Windows 10 upgradability Inspiron 15R 5520

all drivers of win 8.1 will perfectly with win 10.

no need to install network, wifi, bluetooth, audio drivers in win 10. it is already there.

if u update windows automatically install display drivers. u need to install only chipset and touch drivers from dell's website

Highlighted
hanson.d.raj
1 Copper

Highlighted
xfarmer
1 Copper

Thank You Hanson, I will give this a try.

To reiterate, after forcing the Windows 10 upgrade, the video driver and chipset drivers will need to be installed for 8.1 from Dells site. I do not have a touch screen so I should be able to omit the touch drivers.

X

Highlighted
conchuotduy
1 Copper

Upgrade ok but funtion audio not working, audio max not working 😞 Sometime wifi network hang on 😞

Highlighted

I have downloaded the free Windows 10. Unfortunately I lost all audio. I have tried everything I can think of but no luck yet.

Highlighted
xfarmer
1 Copper

I did the free upgrade on my 15r 5520 yesterday and all is working good, I first made sure all drivers were up to date from Dell's website. The important one is the chipset driver. I then added the OS upgrade registry and checked for updates and it then downloaded and installed. Everything is working, sound, screen dims. All is good.

The registry key to add is - HKEY\LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade

New DWORD 32bit value setting the hexadecimal value to 1

Highlighted
xfarmer
1 Copper

I failed to mention that after adding the registry key, if you check for updates, the Windows 10 download will be available

Highlighted
EwanHoozami
1 Copper

Thanks for all the responses.

I think it would be useful to try to identify why some people experience loss of audio with the Win 10 upgrade and others do not.

Is it simply a matter of ensuring drivers have been updated as suggested by xfarmer, or do some 5520's have different audio devices than others? Mine is Conexant SmartAudio HD.

thanks

Ewan

Highlighted
rossmo
1 Copper

I have the same Audio device.  I am still however not gme to try the manual update as all of you more experienced users hve.  I emaio Dell Australia customer service direct.  They promised a response within 24 hours.  Of course nothing has as yet come.

Highlighted
hanson.d.raj
1 Copper

I have also same audio device. but builtin audio driver of windows 10 is far better than Conexant SmartAudio HD.