Highlighted
hanson.d.raj
1 Copper

RE: Windows 10 upgradability Inspiron 15R 5520

I installed only chipset driver from dell website. all other driver including display driver(intel), Graphic driver(AMD Radeon graphics) will get from windows update. no need to do any experiments. u will get all other drivers from update.

i installed win10 pro in brothers PC (samsung) also in the same way. in that computer also got all drivers from windows update. 

Highlighted
EwanHoozami
1 Copper

Thanks Hanson. It looks like your update has installed a generic windows audio driver which works with your device (is is Conexant?) and deleted the driver for Conexant and that works for your computer, but clearly not for others for some reason. This is my audio driver setup, which is still on Win 8.1 

Ewan

Highlighted
hanson.d.raj
1 Copper

Hi dear Ewan, I did not upgrade my pc. I just formatted c drive. It is a clean install...

Highlighted
EwanHoozami
1 Copper

Thanks Hanson

I'm no IT expert, so don't take action on this advice alone, but it looks to me as if the Conexant audio driver is not Windows compatible, but the generic Windows one is. Therefore if you haven't yet installed 10 but want to, the best option would be Hanson's method of a clean install on a newly formatted disk (big job). If you've already installed 10 and lost audio you could try completely removing the Conexant driver and the generic one should take over on reboot. Worth a try, the audio can't get worse. If that fails, the clean install is an option.

Please let me know how it goes if you try it.

Ewan

Highlighted
xfarmer
1 Copper

I have actually upgraded from Windows 8.1 and am still using the Conexant driver. See the screen shot.

Highlighted
EwanHoozami
1 Copper

That wrecks my theory, xfarmer. Maybe the people having audio problems did not first ensure they had the latest drivers?

Ewan

Highlighted
broonster
1 Copper

My Inspiron 5520 told me Windows 10 was ready to upgrade so I assumed the model had been given the green light by both MS and Dell and went ahead and did it. The process seemed to have gone OK but then I noticed I was getting terrible disk utilisation in task manager with it maxing out at 100% quite frequently and average disk response time sometimes hitting 1000+ms, which is horrific.

I then went to the Dell site expecting to find Windows 10 drivers to hopefully fix the issue but there none because Dell don't support Windows 10 on that model! Quite astonishing. Now i'm left in limbo with an under-performing laptop that is only a couple of years old. It was bad enough having Windows 8 being forced upon me when I bought the laptop but now I have to endure this performance hit I can't say I'll be buying Dell again.

Highlighted
EwanHoozami
1 Copper

Sorry to hear that, Broonster but I guess it gives me another reason to hold off. Does it happen all the time? Mine will Do it when it's running a scheduled virus scan or something like that.

No green light from Microsoft for mine yet.

Mine came with Win 7 and I paid $15 to "upgrade" to Win 8. Too lazy to go back to 7, thought I'd wait it out.

Yes, some bean counter at Dell has worked out that a few thousand bucks can be saved by only providing Win 10 drivers for a very limited number of models, and a few more bucks can be saved by not responding to customers' concerns. They need a new bean counter who can also calculate the costs of these "savings" in terms of the number of customers who will never be buying another Dell.

Ewen

Highlighted
hanson.d.raj
1 Copper

Hi Ewan,

Can i say one thing. I u are willing to do  just try it.

1) Uninstall Dell audio software from add or remove programs

2) Uninstall from device manager - both drivers

3) restart

4) Check Device Manger- sound, audio controller

5) can see unknown device

6) right click on that and give update driver, then it  will check online and install

try this

Highlighted
conchuotduy
1 Copper

Driver install ok but Dell audio funtions not work.