Highlighted
EwanHoozami
1 Copper

RE: Windows 10 upgradability Inspiron 15R 5520

Hi WallyJoe

That's very useful information for those upgrading via Win 8,1.

Since I kicked this topic off it's only fair I give my own experience a few days ago. My Windows updater icon disappeared, but the update files were still on the disk. I didn't want to hack the registry in the hope of getting it going. so I downloaded the updater from the MS site to a USB drive, but when I ran it it wouldn't accept my Win 8 product key. I tried the MS chat help, which advised me to reinstall Win 8.

This sounded insane, but I did it (and lost all data in c:\User and every program and app), but the installer still didn't accept the key, even when I downloaded it again in Win 8. So back to the MS chat, where in the course of a 102 minute session the best the help could come up with was to suggest I try a clean install of Win 8. What about trying the "Install now" option on the installer? I asked, but the MS guy didn't seem to know about it.

I did the Install now option and this time it worked without asking for a product key. And everything worked except for the Realtek card reader, which comes back after you reinstall the Win 8.1 driver (found under Chipset on the Dell site).

So while it was a big hassle having to reinstall all the programs, at least this method wiped out all the conflict-causing Dell 8.1 drivers, so the method is worth considering if you don't mind that hassle (the User data can be preserved by temporarily moving them to another folder, data in other folders are preserved). It goes without saying you should have the data backed up to another drive also.

Good luck.

Ewan

Highlighted
Eerichhh
1 Copper

Had the same problem with my 5520, installed win10 and audio didn't work (came from win 7) . So what i managed to figure out and worked was:

Also would like to apologise for my *** english  🙂

1) Go to device manager, select Conexant HD drivers and unistall them.

2) Go to dell's web site and into the drivers section, now choose your pc and click on "find it myself" and then search out this thing that says Operating system: (default it has win 7 there)

Make sure to check the ring that says windows 8.1, cause windows 8,1 drivers seem to work with win 10

3) Choose audio and click on "view details"

4) And now choose the "Update Package for Microsoft® Windows®"

5) Now wait until downloaded and install, after it's finished restart your PC and your audio should be back to normal. 

Highlighted

HI Hanson and Ewan,

My name is Hemang Negandhi and i have dell inspiron 5520.

Even i am frustated as after upgrading to windows 10 my wifi has stopped working.

i intend to write a complain to  CEO of dell India and bring this matter to light,

a company should at least provide support for minimum 5 years.

Regards,

Hemang Negandhi

Highlighted
Eerichhh
1 Copper

Oi mate, same happened to me after i restarted my pc, but i found a simpe solution, just make sure to follow the steps mentioned below:

1) Right click on the wifi icon and choose troublesehoot

2)  It takes a minute or two and it should work, somehow when you get disconnected from wifi it doesn't reconnect automatically again and you have to troubleshoot again.

Hope that it helped. 🙂

Highlighted
The reaper
1 Copper

Conexant smartaudio hd  can not install and it is one of the best drives

Highlighted
Eerichhh
1 Copper

Did you download the windows 8.1 version of the driver? Cause when i tried to install windows 7 drivers i also came upon an error. 🙂

Highlighted
GraceStewart15
1 Copper

I agree with you as all the new computers from dell have windows 10 for this will be last computer I buy from dell so disappointed that they will not up grade the BIOS for  Insprion 15R 5520 

Highlighted
AnnAarseth
1 Copper

Hello.

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and facing blue screen -  "Pagefault in Nonpaged area" all the time. Reinstalled it and all, but it didn't help. Did any of you had the same problem, or is there any problem with my laptop?

Highlighted
ieee488
5 Iridium

Rule of thumb is to always backup before doing anything.

Anyway, see https://www.xtremerain.com/how-to-fix-page-fault-in-non-paged-area/

Highlighted
Iutbbd01
1 Copper

Hi, yes that does work but wifi keeps going down and you keep having to reset the network adapter. There is no Broadcom driver update for this adapter and windows 10 is not fully working with this adapter. The best solution would be to fit a windows 10 compliant adapter but I understand this part is white listed and so you cannot fit any other product, unless someone one here has replaced this successfully?