Highlighted
Not applicable

Windows 10 upgrade/compatibility list

I have a XPS 8500 with Windows7 Pro. I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, but it seems that Dell will no longer support me and the computer any longer. Dell will not support Windows 10. Well, this is not what you have promised in the past. For the past few years my wife and I have bought Dell computers. What has happened to the partnership between what Microsoft does and Dell supports. Shame on you for this. Now, I know why you are having problems in sales ... beginning to have the same face as HP. If you do NOT place Dell on the support list for Windows10, then I will NO linger support Dell in the very near future.

You can take that to the bank.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

RE: Windows 10 upgrade/compatibility list

All OEMs are only supporting Win 10 upgrades for their more recent machines. Even if they wanted to provide driver updates (this is what support means) they need the hardware suppliers to write the drivers, which they don't want to do. When you upgrade to Win 10, compatible generic drivers are installed so that the machine will work. You then decide to accept these or search for a more full-featured driver. Many Win 8.1 drivers will work in Win 10. The majority of computers made in the last 10 years will upgrade. Many post about having disasters with their machine but when you search the web you find others with that machine upgrade with no problem. Usually, searching the web for the particular machine will result in some hints that will help. There are a lot of possible reasons for a failure, mostly related to doing something wrong or having made hardware/software modifications or having malware on the machine. If you look below at my upgrades you will see some of the oldest Dells to have been successfully upgraded to Win 10.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am begining to believe that no dell systems support Windows 10  I am working on a new dell all in one with W10 installed and the update took 6 hours and the first thing i see is and error message.  Funny  I did one of these same systems a month ago and it took 2 weeks to finally get it running.   Did 3 HPs last week.   went through without a hitch.   Gonna recommend HP's from now one.  I just dont have the 40 hours to set up a new system

0 Kudos