Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 31st, 2018 20:00

Windows 10 was unable to shrink C drive

Hi guys, do you know why Windows 10 doesn’t allow me to shrink C: drive. I got quite a lot of free space left on my "C" drive and I want to shrink the drive so to use the free space for saving more data on my PC (Inspiron 3668).

just can’t shrink or decrease C drive with Disk Management tool. It won’t allow me to do so with an error message, saying that "Not enouhg space". I use a big single partition on a 2TB and used space 75Gb. I don't care about data loss, because it's a new PC.

Please do help me if you have a solution. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 1st, 2018 03:00

One thought on saving (backup) data to the same drive.  If the drive fails the backed up data is also lost.  Not a good idea.

However, try using the free version of "Mini Tool Partition Wizard" rather than the built in Windows.  What I use.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/

2 Posts

February 1st, 2018 17:00

There is probably data stored at the far end of the drive. Run Defragler a few times until all the data is moved to the front of the drive. After this the drive partition should shrink.

15 Posts

February 11th, 2018 01:00

If your partitions have been changed by other applications after you Disk Management, the partition status shown in Disk Management is different from what really is. Therefore, you will receive this error when you try to shrink partition in Disk Management. 

Besides, if you shrink a partition with unmovable files like page files, you still cannot shrink it successfully with Disk Management.

I encounter similar problems to you. I tried a lot of ways, none of them works for me. But I found a software called AOMEI Partition Assistant. It helps me shrink partition without any problem. And it's a free software. You can try it.

June 23rd, 2018 19:00

I used the Mini Tool Partition Wizard.  It worked great!  It also had an option to migrate my OS to my new SSD, which was my end game, so it worked out better than expected.

No Events found!