Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 10th, 2017 06:00

Windows Cannot complete the installation in Safe Mode.

Hello,

on AIO Optiplex 5250 with Windows10 got a startup repair that would not go away. None of the options as: repair/refresh/reset your PC did not work. Tried to boot into a safe mode using GUI from troubleshooting tab and each time it came back to startup repair/diagnosis window and unable to boot into OS.

The only function that worked was FACTORY IMAGE, however after completing a rollout back now on a start up it says that cannot proceed as PC is in a safe mode.

A question is quite simple: how can I launch the cmd(or troubleshooting) during the boot or prior I get this error below?

Once I have cmd I can execute:  bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot to disable safe mode and proceed with a factory image.

I've already tried all the F8/SHIFT+F8/F10/SHIFT+F10 variations and none of them is working, due to UEFI and not a legacy boot. Is it possible to launch a troubleshooting/startup settings/cmd now at this stage without having an installation media?

"Windows Cannot complete the installation in Safe Mode. To Continue installing Windows, restart the computer."

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

November 18th, 2017 09:00

You can't override this. Have you checked for a hardware problem like a failing hard drive? Run the Diagnostics. Run the complete extended hard drive test. If the hardware is OK. Download the Create Media tool, select make media for another computer,  download your version of win 10, boot to the disk or thumb drive you make and select Custom install, delete the windows partition and install a fresh copy. You will lose everything so make copies of all files. Skip entering a product code when asked. The first time you connect to Internet your digital license will reactive windows.

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

2 Posts

November 21st, 2017 04:00

Thanks Mary G. But if there was a way to enter into a safe mode there really should be a way to exit that and let factory image to proceed. Of course that's perhaps more related to windows/bios logic but still thinking that Dell might have some "hidden" keyboard shortcuts for a workaround. Diagnostic test was done and 0 faults found.

1 Message

January 2nd, 2018 13:00

Hi, I had exactly the same problem on a Dell Alienware Alpha and I solved it like this:

When you get the error message:

1. Shift-F10 brings up the command prompt

2. Type msconfig at the cmd prompt

3. You can can now disable the safe boot option on the second tab

You will not have use of the mouse so use tab to move around the form, use the arrow key to select options. You will work out the keyboard shortcuts to navigate eventually.

Tab to the boot tab, tab to the safe mode tick box, use the arrow to select the option and space to turn it of. Tab to the apply. Tab to OK. Press return and reboot.

Worked for me.

Hope this is useful for others,

1 Message

May 1st, 2018 06:00

Thank you very much for this.  This is the correct solution for what is a stupid issue.  Worked like a charm.

1 Message

June 12th, 2019 16:00

Yep...that worked and fixed my issue as well. Thank for sharing..

4 Posts

July 19th, 2019 05:00

Hey

How did you solve the issues. I am having the same problem. 

And "Shift+F10" does not bring up the command prompt.

4 Posts

July 19th, 2019 05:00

The "Shift+F10" does not work for this error message. 

Apparently there are two different types of error messages.

1. "Windows Cannot complete the installation".

In this case "Shift+F10" brings the command prompt and this solution works

2. "Windows Cannot complete the installation in safe mode".

In this case "Shift+F10" does not work. 

1 Message

August 4th, 2019 18:00

You ever found out?

1 Message

September 29th, 2019 09:00

It brings me to the normal mode instead 

1 Message

April 9th, 2020 18:00

thanks. it worked. @sidstrom. thank you thank you

1 Message

April 30th, 2020 07:00

On some notebooks use Fn+Shift+F10 to enter command prompt.

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2020 16:00

I found this on another website. You already know how to open the Command window after getting that error msg.

Shift - F10

Then hit the tab to enable you to type into it

Type cmd hit Enter

Type the following command:

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

then hit the enter.

You should be getting a line saying that it was successful.

Then type:

shutdown /r

hit enter

- It will take a few seconds before it shuts down and you are back in business.

Herr is the link to the website I found the last part of the solution.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-exit-safe-mode-on-windows-10/amp/

All the best and thanks again.

1 Message

September 8th, 2020 00:00

Use this link. it has solved my problem.

1 Message

March 28th, 2021 17:00

You have to press 

Shift+fn+f10 and follow the previous instructions

Keys is to add the fn so it will work 

Enter msconfig and disable safeboot in second tab

May 28th, 2021 07:00

I try to use this procedure. But when the dialog box come.. i try to type.when i type any key only "????" Question mark... Is coming... How can i fixit

No Events found!