Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

3 Posts

November 29th, 2020 12:00

Windows cloud restore via SupportAssist stuck on "System Configuration" screen for hours

Hi

- Windows 10 freezing became common and began occurring within 30s of boot post a windows update, triggered safe booth workflow with 3x power on method

- Started cloud restore (with disk wipe) after SupportAssist came up warning of OS failure, opted in

- Files downloaded and SupportAssist dialogue asked to proceed to next step, windows install, opted in

- Windows install comes to a screen named "System Configuration" where it seems various Dell softwares were installed successfully (green check marks) and then the page displays again the text "System Configuration" (in the page body, duplicate of the title) with a small animated search icon sizing larger and smaller like a gif, and the progress bar says 87%

- Been on this page for 3 hours, no progress beyond 87%, no additional text, no responsiveness to cursor or keys

Please help

1 Message

December 2nd, 2020 09:00

I have the same issue. Stuck at 87% for hours and hours. Anything?

December 14th, 2020 00:00

Cloud restore fails due to this 87% issue, which appears to be a support assist install problem. Force shutdown and restart will return to the older version of Windows, however, it appears that all install files for latest Windows version are downloaded.

How I managed to get around it and my original problem of buggy win10 (by accident):

- Trigger windows factory reset using installed version

- Interrupt this process post installation restart (in my case, because it was hanging)

- This leads to a corrupt windows image on device, which will always return you to the boot menu and support assist cloud restore

- Trigger cloud restore and wait for files to download and installation to proceed

- Installation gets stuck on 87% as before

- Force shutdown and restart

- This time the restart looks for a windows image to install, but the factor windows is corrupt, so it uses the windows image downloaded from cloud restore instead

- Windows fresh install proceeds, configure windows and set up basis your needs

Though I only arrived at this solve by accident, it has dealt with the original problem as well - windows hanging continuously, driver failures for input devices et al. Fresh install of windows via cloud restore seems to be a workable solution to the root issue, whatever it was (no need of fresh installing drivers independently either).

Try at your own risk.

No Events found!