Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2019 07:00

XPS 13-7390, any Windows 10 changes causes issues

Display Settings. Any change crashes Win10 Settings. Also any attempt to change the desktop background crashes settings, with similar gobbledygook in the dialogues. Laptop also will not turn off or sleep. Programs are running slowly or crash. I have updated all drivers to latest available on this service tag, and Win10 (1909) updates are all up to date. Laptop is about 2 weeks old.

Thanks,

Chris

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 13th, 2019 08:00

Because the Diagnostics passed, from a hardware perspective, you are OK.

* Connect the 45w power adapter to the left side TB3/USB Type-C port
* Run the Windows 10 Startup Repair

* Choose the option to keep your files

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 20th, 2019 17:00

Once everything is fully reinstalled and working properly, including Windows updates and driver updates, download a copy of Macrium Reflect Free and create an image of the HDD on an external USB drive. So the next time, you can use the image to reinstall everything quickly. 

Don't forget to update the image from time to time as you install OS updates, new software, change or add/delete files etc, so you're always at least close to being current, should you have to revert to a saved image.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 5th, 2019 11:00

Let's backup. When you first turned the XPS 13-7390 on, the Dell operating system image was decompressed and the PC restarted several times. At that point, how was the operating system?

Since then, what 3rd party software have you installed?

Disconnect all peripherals from the laptop except the power adapter connected to the left side TB3/USB Type-C port.

Does the Dell pre-Windows ePSA Hardware Diagnostics pass?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 6th, 2019 05:00

Awaiting a response to my previous public troubleshooting reply.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 9th, 2019 05:00

Since we have not received a reply from you, we are closing this case. If you return at a later date, please start a new thread and reference this one.

3 Posts

December 13th, 2019 07:00

From this thread (last week):

'... Display Settings: %1!ws! (%2!d!) - any change crashes Win10 Settings. Also any attempt to change the desktop background crashes settings...'

Chris M asked:

'... When you first turned the XPS 13-7390 on... the PC restarted several times. At that point, how was the operating system? Since then, what 3rd party software have you installed?

...Does the Dell pre-Windows ePSA Hardware Diagnostics pass?'

The laptop has had this wierd problem right from the get-go. When Windows was first 'decompressed', the background image would not change, which led to the 'gobledegook' dialogue & crashing discovery. (Nothing had been installed at that point. Later, Win 10 updates, driver updates and Office 2019 were installed, though it made no difference to the problem.)

Dell diagnostics (v2.53) showed no problems, with a code of '2000-0000'.

(Sorry for the delay in replying. This is my wife's laptop and her health is not so good at the moment...)

Cheers,

Chris

3 Posts

December 15th, 2019 04:00

Thanks for this Chris - I have done the repair/reinstall and it all worked fine. The wierd display problems & crashing have been cured, so many thanks. I did not realise that the repair option deletes all installed applications (only keeping personal files & folders), so it makes for a HUGE amount of work - but that's what's required. We are both very happy that the laptop is working properly, so thank you again!

I haven't checked all the drivers yet, nor the BIOS, but I'm hoping the updates were not removed. We'll see.

Anyway, many thanks Chris - your advice has 'mended' the laptop.

Cheers,

Chris

No Events found!