Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2017 11:00

XPS 13 9360 CPU utilization over 100%

Hi

I just got my new XPS 13 9360. I am worried about the CPU utilization. when device is idle, util is about 40%. when I run any program or simple anti virus scan, it jumps to more than 120%. However, the Service CPU is lower, but still relatively higher than normal.

Example when I run unit virus I noticed also that while the processes CPU is over 120% the "service CPU" is around 70% attached.

please advise. 

• 

16.7K Posts

July 26th, 2017 08:00

Alammary.Mohamed,

It could be malware on your system. Also,Chrome and Firefox use alot of cpu resources.

There could be a lot of things that are causing this. So try the following:

1. Background processes - Check what processes are running when you have no active programs. This will let you know what is using your cpu.
2. Startup programs - Check what programs automatically startup. These will use the cpu the moment you switch on your pc.
3. Junk program - These are programs that get installed as a result of another program. They tend to be an add on and can take up the cpu usage very easily
4. Junk files - These are files that get left over when you uninstall a program. I would go through your pc and check that all files are actually needed and delete out any that aren't
5. Temp files - Use a clean like ccleaner or Clean master to get rid on any temp files that maybe on your pc.

July 26th, 2017 11:00

hi Jesse

It cannot be malware. it is brand new, I did not finish 30 min using the laptop when I posted this!

BTW, this is the second XPS laptop I buy. I thought the first one was defective, so I returned it back and got this one. Unfortunately, same problem!

Any advise?!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 26th, 2017 14:00

Windows will do things which cause high CPU utilization.  You are showing McAfee using most of it in your attachments, but there are things other than virus scans.

Windows will, on occasion check your system for components.  It takes a while and goes through all the system files and backups.  New systems will probably spend several hours initially getting everything ready such as updates.

I have even seen certain websites which will run the CPU usage up to 60-70% just because you are on that site.

July 26th, 2017 19:00

Thanks Saltgress, your words seems convincing because I can see the overall performance is accepted.

Are you saying that I just need to ignore that?!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 26th, 2017 20:00

I would say be aware and keep an eye on it.  If you can determine what is causing the resource usage with the Resource Manager, you might post back and see what the members think.

If something continues to use resources for an extended period, then maybe something going on you would not accept.  Just today, McAfee was writing to a log file and it kept the Disk usage up to near 100% for 15-20 minutes.

July 27th, 2017 01:00

Thanks.

No Events found!