Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2017 02:00

XPS 13 9365 = Sleep and Hibernate problem after Fall creator, computer goes to AIRPLANE mode

The post talking abou this subject seems to have been closed 

without reason as the problem is NOT SOLVED 

The computer is still not going to sleep or hibernate but instead of this goes ao AIRPLANE

There is post from "Robert"  but doesn;t solve anything = I have Toshiba SSD in the computer not an INtel SSD !!

No fix for the moment

• 

16.7K Posts

November 1st, 2017 10:00

slaredo,

I saw this information in a post on the dcf that resolved the issue for the user. You were actually on the thread itself. Have you tried it?

* Open Start and click the Settings entry

* Click System

* On the next screen, click Power and Suspend

* On the right, under Related Settings, click on Additional Power Settings

* In the new window that you just opened, in the left section, click on Specify Power Button Behavior

* Now click on the item at the top Change the settings currently unavailable

* By going to the Stop Settings section, turn off Quick Start, unchecking the check box

* Click Save Changes

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 1st, 2017 10:00

If you had been following this subject, Jesse, you would know that while that option allows for a system shutdown, it does not fix the inability to hibernate or the Airplane mode...

It is tied directly to the Fall Creators update.  How do I know?  

A current OEM install upgraded was the first to see this.

A second install, started from and clean install of the previous build and then upgraded, did the same thing.  This install was rolled back to the previous build and the problems stopped.  

A clean install of the Fall Creator's upgrade has the same problem.

In case none of the Dell folks noticed, the option, which is available on Modern Standby capable systems and turned on and off connected standby, was changed.  Now, it allows Never, Always, and Let Windows Handle where before it just offered Never and Always. (Settings-System-Power&Sleep Keep Network connected on battery)

Hopefully waiting for a fix from someone.  If no fix is offered, Dell needs to give us a way to remove the system from the Modern Standby capability without a registry hack which does not work.

30 Posts

November 1st, 2017 12:00

Thanks so MUCH to Saltgrass for the very clear answer !!

This guys from DELL simply DONOT care about their service = the only argument to pay more for my XPS to compare to competition was the NBD services that used to work fantastic =

NOW CATASTROPHIC

I am just back from 2 - 3 hours trip around few customers without possibilities to plug and the notebook because no way to go to sleep is at 50% !!

Modern Standby or not...I don't know, I updated all drivers in all possible ways and made the fast start = off....

Of course, doesn't work, it seems to be linked to SSD NVMe also ?

Please dell WAKE-UP = not good to have unstatisfied customer out there

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 1st, 2017 15:00

Modern Standby or not...I don't know, I updated all drivers in all possible ways and made the fast start = off....

Of course, doesn't work, it seems to be linked to SSD NVMe also ?

The system I am currently working on has an M.2 SATA drive and I can shut it down from the start button.  But the prior system had the NVMe drive and the option was not tried.  I went to the SATA drive in case the Connected Standby process needed the Intel SATA driver.  But this does not seem to influence the current problem.

I don't think Dell is involved in this except that some driver may need to be updated because of the Win 10 upgrade.  My original Clean install of the Fall Creator's build had no Dell drivers or utilities installed and it behaved the same.

30 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 12:00

Today some guys of DELL services sent me an answer saying that they would work on drivers update, but with no date and no limit when will be what

Dell is selling a HardWare combinaison with Windows installed on it, and so is for me still responsible to find solution for its products even the update was pushed by MSN

November 2nd, 2017 14:00

Please let us know when they get something to you...

30 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 02:00

Here is the answer saying nothing from DELL - there is NO deadline, no commitment to solve....

If I would do the same with my customers, I could look for another job immediately

Dear Mr. xxxx

It is hard to say to be honest. It all depends on how fast our technicians are able to detect which driver exactly is responsible for this issue. As most drivers are done by hardware manufacturers like Intel, the issue has to be reported to them and after their update it should be tested by our technicians again. If everything is ok during the testing, the driver should be released on our website for download.

S pozdravem

Arnold Ruxxxxxxxxx

Technical Client Core Support

Dell | Tech Support

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2017 08:00

I would think a response for Dell such as this is appropriate, in this situation.  The Fall Creator's Build started this so Microsoft made some changes which will have to be dealt with.  Possibly the new coding to allow Windows to control the network in Low Power mode when on battery have caused the problems...

I seem to have found one situation last night.  I set my system to hibernate after 60 minutes and closed the lid and pulled the external power.  During the next 8 hours or so, the system went Active just about every hour.  From the Event Viewer, the informational log entries seem to show an Intel wireless Bluetooth event was causing it to go Active.  I have never before seen my system go Active with the lid closed.

I am not suggesting anyone else do this yet since it does not seem to help the basic problems, but I got a new Bluetooth driver from Intel (20.0.0.11)and the next down cycle the system did not go Active.  Still testing to verify.

Other items which seem to be keeping the system from staying in the Low Power state are Realtek Audio, USB 3.0 Root Hub and Intel Serial IO I2C Host controller.  These items are probably in need of  Chipset driver updates from Intel and Realtek.  Dell can't really do any more than request newer drivers.

16 Posts

November 4th, 2017 04:00

Please follow below instructions to resolve that issue::

1. Select the “Start” button, then select “Settings“.

2. Select “System“.

3. Select “Power & sleep“.

4. Ensure the “Sleep” setting is set to a desired value.

5. Have a look under “Additional power settings“.

6. Select “Change Plan Settings” next to the option that you have selected.

7. Select “Change advanced power settings“.

8. On the “Power Options” screen, you want to expand each setting and ensure that they allow the computer to go to sleep mode. In my case, the setting under “Multimedia settings” > “When sharing media” was set to “Prevent idling to sleep“. I had to set this to “Allow the computer to sleep“. If you’re feeling lazy, just hit the “Restore plan defaults” button and that should toggle all items to where sleeping is allowed in Windows 10.

If you still have problems with your Windows 10 computer sleeping, there may be a program that is constantly running on your PC that keeps it awake, or even worse, a virus.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 4th, 2017 07:00

Hey harper-alex, it appears you are not aware a Modern Standby system does not do Sleep......  If you don't believe that, open an administrative command prompt and type powercfg /a.

Although, I am testing to see if the sleep settings actually have any effect on the operation when in the Standby mode.

30 Posts

November 4th, 2017 08:00

Haper-alex, we would not open such a topic if it would so easy.

But by the way, in fact, I do not see where I can any option relative to Multimedia settings

Anyway I still believe like SaltGrass that the question is about driver.

I made also the INTEL bluetooth update = it didn't help so solve the problem

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 4th, 2017 20:00

Latest info... I still see no hibernation happening and still need workaround to shutdown.

I have installed both the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers from Intel for the 8265.  They are both version 20.0.0.xx.  I have not seen an Airplane mode in a couple of days.  

I was testing the setting to allow the network disconnect while on battery power and it appears the option to let Windows handle it takes quite a bit of power, battery drain around 3% per hour.  I have gotten the Never option down to about 1% per hour while in Modern Standby.

All these problems are probably tied together.  I read the Floor power number was found while the system had the Airplane mode engaged so it is probably turned on all the time, just is not supposed to stay on when the system comes out of standby.

Hibernate and Fast Startup (shutdown workaround) are listed in the Powercfg /a command so also primary players in this system...

Maybe next Tuesday will hold some help, but Microsoft seems to be trying to ignore the situation.  Perhaps they already know and are just waiting for a fix.

November 6th, 2017 08:00

Similar problems here on my Precision m5510 with an nvme drive after the Win 10 x64 Fall creators update.  Shutdown doesn't work - the system just reboots.  Disabling fast reboot allows me to shut down.  Hibernate doesn't work - system just reboots with airplane mode on.  I can't find hiberfil.sys anywhere despite having run powercfg -h on/off multiple times.  Sleep does seem to work (it didn't work well previously - would wake up with the click of a mouse, etc; seems to work better now).  Have tried updating drivers but no joy.  Waiting along with the rest of you now.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 6th, 2017 20:00

I made also the INTEL bluetooth update = it didn't help so solve the proble

Looks like something I have not seen before.  You can see my settings but the two marked entries in the Sleep Study are one session.  I do not know what made the system change its status but it seems to be doing the same thing going into hibernation would do.  

I will keep running my system with these settings to make sure it continues to operate the same way.  This is acceptable to me although I have not checked the ability to shut down.

30 Posts

November 7th, 2017 01:00

Hi SaltGrass,

interessing, but we are still stuck with our computer. For me travelling a lot, it is really a pain to have to either find a plug all the time or switch off and restart all the job each time.

How do you make this report about the DRAIN of battery ? I would like to make the same to compare

No Events found!