Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Message

January 23rd, 2020 00:00

XPS 15 7590: remove horrible explorer overlay

Hello, I just got a new Dell XPS 15 7590, and I can't get to use something as simple as the file explorer properly, because of what I suspect to be a terrible attempt at an overlay.

qrnd_0-1579769020960.png

First of all it looks terrible: that random white bar that I can't get rid of has nothing to do here, the mouse cursor changes to a resize cursor when I hover it but nothing happens when I drag it, elements have the wrong size... But let's get to the point: why can't I use most of the buttons ?? I'd have expected that at least the present buttons do work, but it turns out they don't !! The "Back", "Forward" and "Up" buttons, as well as the search bar are totally unresponsive. They don't get highlighted when I hover them, and nothing happens when I click them.

I simply don't understand the point. Why would you override a default tool that works perfectly well, for no added value at all, breaking its most basic functionality along the way? I'd like to revert to the default explorer if that's possible, because this one definitely is broken.

Thanks in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 08:00

Microsoft Safety Scanner is a scan tool designed to find and remove malware from Windows computers. Simply download it and run a scan to find malware and try to reverse changes made by identified threats.

Note

Starting November 2019, Safety Scanner will be SHA-2 signed exclusively. Your devices must be updated to support SHA-2 in order to run Safety Scanner. To learn more, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 09:00

Dell does not control or set any "overlay"

The File Explorer in Windows 10 has a number of views but DELL has nothing whatsoever to do with content in the way you see things,  you’ll need to know where to look to switch your views.

Windows 10, open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.

Open it via search.

Type file explorer in the search box on taskbar, and choose File Explorer Options in the result.

In the View tab, find and click on Options, listed by default on the far right side of the ribbon.

In the Folder Options window, make sure you’re on the General tab and then find the drop-down box labeled Open File Explorer To. Click the drop-down menu and select This PC. Click OK to save your changes and close the window.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2768-open-folder-options-windows-10-a.html

No Events found!