Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2017 18:00

XPS 15 9550 Windows 10 KB4015438 Critical Process BSOD

EDIT - forgot to mention that I've been running my machine in legacy boot mode (non-secure UEFI, etc).

Just a heads up. I've been testing this out on my machine and a number of my students' laptops. The new cumulative update (KB4015438) is the death knell for some Dell 9550s. It gives us the absolutely abhorrent, Critical Process Died failure - so bad it doesn't even come with an error code.

Not sure what to do at this point. The update even created a Microsoft System Reserve (MSR) partition on our hard drives, took an hour or so to install, rollback, and reinstall. Even when installed on a completely clean machine, will cause the machine to just *hang* for minutes before blue screening.

I would STRONGLY advise against taking the KB4015438 cumulative update for now if you can. If you cannot, then pray.

Your friendly neighborhood engineer,

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 21st, 2017 18:00

Whenever someone is willing to put a dump file on their OneDrive or some other access, I will look at it.

All GPT Windows drives will have a MSR partition.  Unless you had installed in some way which did not automatically create the partition, the update did not create it.

Otherwise, I can't address the compatibility of your system and the Win 10 update.  It went OK on 4 of my systems, 3 of which are Dell models.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 24th, 2017 12:00

The MSR partition is put on a GPT configured drive.  A GPT configured drive required a UEFI install.  Secure Boot Requires UEFI.

If running in Legacy, the drive is MBR configured and no MSR partition is created.  I don't know why you would care about a 16 MB partition which has no effect on your install.  You cannot run Secure Boot in Legacy and only have 4 primary partitions..

If you want, attach a picture of your Disk Management window.

There is a subsequent update on the Microsoft Catalog site.. (KB4016635)

2 Posts

March 24th, 2017 12:00

Hello Saltgrass! Thank you for offering to help. Not going to need it this time - but here's why the MSR is a bit shocking...

... I was running my Dell 9550 in legacy boot mode, allowing me to not have a MSR. After this, it started one. Scary stuff. Really really scary stuff. Not even sure how that happened.

Now maybe I don't understand how legacy mode worked, but it's my understanding that is does not create it if I'm in legacy mode.

No Events found!