Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2017 02:00

XPS 15-9560, 5 to 10 second freezing

Hi All,

First of all, I would like to say that I am very disappointed with Dell. Last month I ordered the XPS 15-9560. Once I received, after 1 hour of usage a black screen issue appeared and every 10 minutes  the black screen comes and the system hangs. I contacted Dell services and after a long discussion and waste of time, they agreed to replace it with a new laptop. After a long wait and wasted one more week to get new laptop, I got today another. All data setup with personal data etc spend lot time to transfer data second time. I have again problem now laptop freezing 5 to 10 second. When I written email or used work words coming after 10 second. I think best option return back to Dell.

Regards,

:emotion-39:

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 11:00

Seems to be a crowd solving this with a newer Intel driver: www.reddit.com/.../

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 16th, 2017 09:00

Hi brown and max...:emotion-2:

I've read a lot of posts about the freezing / lagging on the XPS 9560. Most of them reported a issue with the Intel HD Graphics driver. If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest trying the steps in rezat 1000 blog above and see if that will make a difference.  Please create a system restore point before attempting steps:

1. Type Create Restore Point onto [Cortana] search box, and then 'Create'

2. Download the latest .zip file for the Intel GPU driver from Intel - Official Site

3. Type Device Manager onto the search box, expand the Display Adapters, right-click Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 and select Update Driver Software…

4. Browse my computer for driver software

5. Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer.

6. Have disk, navigate to extracted zip file contents and the "Graphics" folder within.

7. It should show a Graphics 620 driver afterwards, click install, and then restart system. Hopefully problem is fix now.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 21st, 2017 07:00

I think you need to do a factory reset and not reinstall any of your personal stuff.  Give the system some time to get up to speed.  For Instance, just after you turn the system on, for the next day or two, it might be getting updates, both Windows and Dell.  You might try setting the Dell updater to not do auto updates.

The OS partition may be Bitlocker encrypted, which needs you to be activated and signed in with a Microsoft account before you can turn that off.  If you set the system for syncing, perhaps that is involved.

Having one problematic system is not unheard of, but two which have the exact same problem is a little out of the ordinary.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2017 00:00

This same issue is occurring on my new XPS 15 9560.  Fully loaded 4k, i7, Nvidia, at $2300, and I can't even type an email on the thing!  This laptop freezes every minute to 20 minutes, and may freeze for a split second to maybe 20 seconds, mostly about 10 second freezes.  In addition, the display intermittently flashes (maybe 1x per hour) black, for maybe 1/10 of a second, and you can kind of see vertical black bars during the flash.

The computer behaved this way out of the box, in fact I called tech support right after completing the first windows and Dell update. I even tried a different web browser like Chrome, and it only got worse.  A $2k Windows computer that can't even run Chrome?  I've installed my major applications like photoshop and lightroom, and they're both basically unusable.  Chrome can't even play a YouTube video with dropping 20% of the frames which results in choppy video.  I'm happy to report that my iPad runs circles around this i7 Dell XPS 15 laptop.  

Spoke to Dell tech support 2x, and I'm getting nowhere.  They absolutely will not admit they have a problem with these laptops, and will only provide troubleshooting over the phone and internet.  I have an upgraded premium service account, and it's worthless.  The first tech wanted to reinstall the OS, and I didn't agree and stopped him.  What good is reimaging a brand new computer that only had 1 hour of time on it with no software installed?  They want to speak with me tomorrow, I doubt they can help.  I think Dell tech support is only useful for people who are new to computers.

All I could tell you is I see forums such a Reddit, where there's a number of people complaining of the same issue.  The general consensus is that the Intel GPU display driver is buggy, but no update is provided by Dell or Microsoft.  You could go around the system and install the driver manually, but because it's not tested by Dell, it may affect your warranty should something else go wrong.  

On a high end product such as this, I should not have to repair it myself.  I too was offered a replacement, but declined, as I'm certain this issue is in every 9560 with a 4k display and Nivida GPU.  The question I have is will Dell admit they have a critical defect and if so, is it fixable and what's the ETA on the fix?  If Dell can't provide this information, I will request a full refund and send them back the defective computer.  This may be my last Dell, and that's saying a lot because I've been a loyal customer of theirs for 25 years.  

Dell, please admit your XPS 15 9560 laptops have a freezing and display issue.  Then please tell us when it will be fixed.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 10:00

I am seeing same behavior. I thought it might be some kind of wear-in issue, but now after 3 weeks with the new laptop, I am convinced it is a bug. It seems to happen most when I open Chrome browser, but that may be just a coincidence since I almost always have the browser open. The system, mouse and keyboard freeze for 5 to 20 seconds and then resume as if nothing happened. The screen does not go black as far as I can tell.

February 28th, 2017 16:00

I'm having the same problem, got the laptop a week ago. No black screens, but a lot of random freezes. Was going to contact dell customer support but that looks like a waste of time, will try the solution posted on Reddit. Thanks JetCarson!!!

Will post back in a couple days with results.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 1st, 2017 05:00

Please click on the link below and you will find the same driver listed under Video:

Support for XPS 15 9560 | Dell US

2 Posts

March 1st, 2017 07:00

Simply I would recommend to you all Buy APPLE laptop, this XPS not successful so far i have change three time this laptop same model XPS , we can say 1 may problem but 2nd as well and 3rd my brother bought it same problem. I Think Dell have to removed this laptop and think about what actually problem.

Sorry Dell MORE then 8 year i am using dell now good bye dell and welcome APPLE .

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 13:00

Saltgrass: Please hold back those reinstall advices unless you know what the issue ist and that it really helps. Anyone can give an advice like this. A full OS reinstall and customization can be a lot of work.

1 Message

March 9th, 2017 05:00

I received my xps 15 9560 two days ago and am  experiencing the same intermittent freezing.  I tried the hardware 40 minute stress test on this web site.  The results showed the following message, "Your HD is not working correctly & should be replaced. Please fill out the following form & we will ship you a free replacement".  I am now waiting for Dell to ship me a box and way-bill.  I am relieved to know the problem is the HD.  Perhaps your problem(s) are the same intermittent HD failures.  I think the HD was Toshiba.  Have heard that Samsung drives are the fastest.  My wife's xps 13 is 2 years old and working flawlessly and I am hoping for the same for this machine after HD replacement.    

1 Message

April 6th, 2017 07:00

I got my XPS 9560, Windows 10 Pro w Finger-print Reader 3 days ago. I seem to be experiencing the same problem. I am seeing lags, particularly when I open google chrome. Sometimes, webpage may freeze i.e. If I click the 'close tab' button, it will lag and freeze for 5/10 seconds before closing. Other times when I'm typing or doing a 'search' the input lags abit as well.

3 Posts

April 7th, 2017 07:00

When the problem still exists, try this blog.anichin.com/.../

April 13th, 2017 14:00

did you get it fix?  I have the same problem only when i use chrome! if you use chrome:  go to dell support download the latest driver for Intel.   Then go setting on chrome and disable hardware acceleration, when it restarted close the browser and install driver, restart  windows, go back to chrome and enable acceleration again... see if it fix.  btw, this info i got somewhere in dell community ....

1 Message

April 13th, 2017 18:00

i have this exact same issue, they sent me out a brand new machine, same thing, i want to send both back and get a full refund!!

April 16th, 2017 06:00

I have same problem and have been through 2 different Dell XPS15s top end configuration.  Still no resoution.

No Events found!