Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

August 30th, 2017 15:00

XPS 15 9560 fingerprint sensor and Windows Hello no longer work

When I try to logon; Windows looks like the fingerprint Windows Hello works but it doesn't.  It ask for my pin which doesn't work either.  Only my password works.  I used to be able to use my finger for everything.  Now I can't.  It recognizes my finger but just won't logon.  If I try a different finger it says wrong finger.

Dell XPS 9560

Windows 10 Pro

All updates applied.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 13th, 2017 08:00

If the PIN does not work, the fingerprint will not.  If you have not backed completely out of Hello, remove the fingerprint and remove the PIN.  Then reboot and start over.

I see messages on my system (9365) all the time about Hello for Business cannot start.  I do not know why I get those messages since this is a personal computer unless it is related to a vPro processor.

15 Posts

November 14th, 2017 23:00

Hi

PIN is working. I log on every day with my PIN.

I cannot remove the PIN because i have no button to do. I just have the button change?

Regards

November 15th, 2017 01:00

I'm having the same problem. Fingerprint reader has been working fine since I bought the laptop. I had to get a Dell engineer out to replace the motherboard, and then windows updated to the fall update, and now it no longer works.

I've tried removing the print and the PIN, installing all the latest BIOS and driver updates available, but still no luck with it. I have the same issue as someone mentions above -  I try to set it up lifting my finger and pressing it on the reader, but the process just quits before it finishes.

15 Posts

November 15th, 2017 02:00

Very stange issue behavior!!

i´ve renamed the Ngc folder under "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft"

then i restarted the pc.

after the restart my pin is gone. so far so good.

now i tried to setup my fingerprint. Fingerprint setup comes up and asked me to put and lift my finger.

After Windows got my finger it asked me to setup a pin.

i entered my pin code click ok but windows did not safe any entry. No PIN set No FP set.

Then I setup the PIN directly and this worked. BUT now when i want to add a FP i got the same behavior as before. If i click next on the FP setup i just hear a sound (same when unplug a USB) and nothing happen.

this drives me crazy!

November 19th, 2017 17:00

Same problem here.  I would love to have a solution.  This problem appears occasionally  and then  maybe after a windows update, it starts working again.  It was working great for about 2 months and now its not.  I have not loaded anything new except windows updates.

November 20th, 2017 01:00

It seems that the issue has been fixed in the latest windows update. Just tried to add my fingerprint after receiving the update and it works fine now.

15 Posts

November 20th, 2017 02:00

Hmm I´m also on the latest and its still the same.

November 20th, 2017 19:00

I have the latest windows update and it still does not work

15 Posts

November 20th, 2017 23:00

Me too

1 Message

November 21st, 2017 21:00

Removing your PIN allows you to set up the fingerprint scanner. However, it will not save your print after selecting a new PIN. Interesting issue.

15 Posts

November 21st, 2017 23:00

That is correct.

November 28th, 2017 15:00

I followed the first 14 steps on this link on my Dell XPS 9650 and my fingerprint finally works.  I rebooted after each major step.   I tried almost everything.

www.asus.com/.../

15 Posts

November 28th, 2017 23:00

Hi,

thank you! I will try it later and will let you know.

15 Posts

November 29th, 2017 04:00

I´ve tried all the things in the link except of BIOS because there was no Finger Print setting to delete but no chance.

Did you install the Synaptics driver from the Asus page?

November 29th, 2017 10:00

I downloaded the Synaptics driver from dell and then followed the first 14 steps and it worked.  

My symptoms were:

1. Fingerprint reader would come up with an error each time I tried to use.  Forced to use password.

2. Removed fingerprint under sign-in options and could not add a new fingerprint.  Window would pop up asking me to authenticate with my password and then nothing would save.

3.  Could not delete PIN.  

4. Tried uninstalling the synaptics driver from the device manager and went through steps 2 & 3 - same problem.

5. Found a Microsoft fix and did nothing (answers.microsoft.com/.../9b865b96-ecf3-4d39-918d-cc65061358c3

6.  Finally found the link mentioned in my earlier post.  Was allowed to remove PIN.  Redefined PIN and then added fingerprint.  It now works.

No Events found!