Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 15 9570, Fingerprint Reader not working after BIOS update

No clue as to which update caused it. Could be Windows, Dell or Intel updates. No clue where to start searching. And a reboot doesn't fix it.

XPS XPS 15 9570, i9, 32 Gb ram, all drivers up to date.

Windows 10.1909, all updates installed.

2 year warranty expired on July 13, 2020.

Earlier today I downgraded the BIOS from v1.16.2 to v1.15.0. After a successful BIOS rollback Windows booted but the fingerprint option was still unavailable.

With the BIOS at v1.15 and Windows at 10.1909 the Sign-in options (Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in) options shows both Windows Hello Face and Windows Hello Fingerprint as "unavailable".

In Device Manager the Goodix fingerprint device (under "Biometric devices") shows the following status:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 9570, Fingerprint Reader not working after BIOS update

I have had the same issue since updating to:

Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 and BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.17.1

A complete windows rollback solves the problem. Updating again to Build 19041 again breaks the fingerprint sensor.

Based on previous forum posts, it appears there is an issue with intel SGX, however this appears to be more integral to the OS now, and it is not possible to simply update the driver with a different version from intel's website.

Previously suggested forum posts like updating goodix driver, enabling SGX in bios, etc. are not solving the current version of this issue

0 Kudos