Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2016 15:00

XPS 8100 Win 10 Clean Install to new SSD

Hi,

Hoping someone can give me some guidance on this.

I want to clean install Win 10 to a new Samsung Evo 850.

Since MS has apparently made it easier to activate Win 10 with a valid Product key I'm hoping this will work. I dont want to upgrade my existing (problem free) Win7 HDD, a clean install sounds better to me.

So if I

1 Disconnect all existing drives

2 Connect SSD to the first Sata port

3 Go into BIOS and select RAID as the sata controller

4 Boot from a Win 10 USB

5 Use the Key off the COA sticker (or use the getosstate.exe and genuineticket.xml backup plan)

6 Install Win 10

Iron out any problems (Broadcom NIC)

Does that look like a good plan?

Will I need any drivers during the install?

Thanks

2.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 10:00

PS here is the link to the drivers.

2.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 10:00

I would highly recommend staying with Windows 7, but if you want to upgrade be aware that Dell has not provided any drivers for Windows 10.  It looks like they only did Windows 7 and that was it.  

First off, update your BIOS if you haven't to the latest.  Then disconnect all your internal drives like you stated.  One question is why you want to go to RAID?  Unless you are using RAID for multiple drives as a backup or speed thing, I would stick with AHCI as it will be a lot easier.  If you do stick with RAID, the install for windows may ask for a 'special' raid driver which should be on the dell.com/support site for the Studio XPS 8100 under drivers. Regardless boot from the Windows 10 USB and install from there.  Be aware that some if not all of the Windows 7 drivers supplied by Dell may not work under Windows 10, and that Windows may have generic drivers but you may not get full performance from your machine if forced to rely on just the generics.  If you are good with computers, you could try looking up the chipset manufacture websites and download drivers there if they have them.

Also side note, your Windows 7 COA should work just fine.  

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 11:00

Thanks,

Raid because the 8100 doesn't have AHCI. I've no intention of setting up a RAID, It's just that from what I've read it's a better option than ATA for the SSD

I understand the drivers issue, The one that crops up often is the Broadcom NIC driver. I have dl'd one from the Broadcom site that's meant to work.  I've read conflicting stuff about the chipset drivers but others have done it okay.

I am dubious about upgrading, my Winn7 is fine and error free, but I could live with a clean install and an SSD

2.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 12:00

Ahh then yes use RAID.  Honestly if you like Windows 7 and have no issues with it I'd keep it.  I've heard both good and bad things about Windows 10 and in my personal opinion after trying to install it and get it running on several different machines I think its just a clunky OS that should still be in 'beta'.  But thats just me.  Doing a clean install on the SSD should be just fine, that way you still have Windows 7 and all your files on the HDD just in case, and if you decide its not worth your time you could always clone your HDD to the SSD or do a fresh install of Windows 7.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 13:00

Y'know you might be right about sticking with 7.

I have 10 on a laptop and I do quite like it now that I'm used to it but...

It is buggy as... Nothing too serious but comparing the Event viewers is black and white!!

I might consider the SSD's the first parts of a new build (that has been on the cards for a couple of years now), that situation would be a whole lot less complicated, if a little more expensive.

Cheers

No Events found!