Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

March 22nd, 2018 09:00

XPS 8700 Drive (I:) low disk space, after Windows Update

I have a 8700 with a 2 TB HDD and a SSD running windows 10 and this week I started receiving a low disk space error. When I inspected my drives under my computer my OS indicate I have 1.8 TB of free space and there is a second drive listed as Local Disk(I:) which is almost full show a  size of only 450 MB or so (not exact). When I click on this drive it appears empty even when I have selected hidden folders to show and when I check my storage in windows 10 it indicates all new data is being written to my C: drive. I also reviewed the storage/ disk management in the my computer sub menus but I don't even show that "I:" drive listed as a partition.

Can anyone tell me what this "I:" drive is used for and why I cant I clear up whatever if filling it or see any folders or data in it? The low disk space warning its creating is not affecting my system performance that I can yet tell but I like to address it before it becomes an issue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 10:00

I suggest you write down:

- Each physical disk

- Partitions on each physical disk  

- Assigned Drive-letters (not all partitions have Drive-letters assigned) and free space of each partition

Only then can you or us begin to help.

6 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 17:00

My Computer.JPGDisk Management.JPGDisk Management 2.JPG

6 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 17:00

This is what im looking at and the I drive is showing full in the first screen capture.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 20:00

"Write down" with you know ... words. :Smile:

We can't see your pictures. 

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 19:00

So sorry thought you could see the screen shots my drive are as follows:

Drive OS C: 1.40 TB free of 1.8 TB

Drive Local Disk (I) 33.6 MB free of 449 MB

BD - ROM Drive (D)

CF/MD (E)

SD/MINI-MMC/RS (G)

MS/PRO/Duo (H)

Under my disk management:

Disk 0 shows Basic 1862.89 GB Online:

500 MB / 500 MB free (EFI system Partition),

40 MB/ 40 MB free Healthy (OEM Partition),

750 MB/ 750 MB free Healthy (recovery Partition),

450 MB/ 450 MB free Healthy(Recovery Partition),

7.91 GB/ 7.91 GB free Healthy(Recovery Partition),

1853.28 GB/1443.09GB free NTFS Healthy  (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 24th, 2018 06:00

Tesla1856,

I uploaded it to my share here so you can view it. The red one is the Disk 0 partition 6 (Recovery partition).

1 Message

March 24th, 2018 07:00

No idea how to post so to get so know how I got on this rely, any help would b greatly appreciated. Thank u

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 24th, 2018 11:00

@Extremwan ,

Yeah, that's some strangeness for sure.

Since you have a Drive-I, that does not show in Disk Management ... I think that means it's a mapped network-drive or maybe a Virtual Drive. I've seen mis-configured Intel-RST raid-caching do some strange things (if you have that installed).

Also, you say you have a physical SSD in the system, but your bootable Windows C: drive/partition appears to be on the (inherently slower) 2-tb spinning HDD.

Finally, all those empty Recovery Partitions don't look right either.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 24th, 2018 11:00

@DELL-Chris Mwrote:

Tesla1856,

I uploaded it to my share here so you can view it. The red one is the Disk 0 partition 6 (Recovery partition).

Thanks @DELL-Chris M , I got to see the pic.

6 Posts

March 24th, 2018 20:00

Yea its pretty wierd and the low disk space warning is pointing to Drive I, but when i open the drive to see whats writing to it its empty. Ive set my system to display hidden but that doesn't seem to have any affect either. Any clue what i can do to fix the issue? Oh and i don't have raid caching installed im using it as i got it from the factory plus any normal updates.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 24th, 2018 21:00

@Extremwanwrote:

1. the drive .. its empty. Ive set my system to display hidden

2. Any clue what i can do to fix the issue? 

1. There is also "hide protected OS".

2. Backup, remove all partitions, and clean-install Windows-10 (64bit) ... aka Nuka-Cola-Pave Nuke-and-Pave :Smile:

So, where is this SSD you supposedly have? Do you even know the make and size?

6 Posts

March 25th, 2018 23:00

I did some additional research and im sorry i thought my system was the special edition model but it appears it is not. Im trying to confirm 100% as i do not see it listed under my storage when i run system diagnostics.

2 Posts

May 17th, 2018 00:00

I too have a standard 8700 XPS, and suddenly have the same problem. It only started following a Windows 10 upgrade last night.

I see the following
C:    477 Gb free out of 1.8 Tb
D:, E:,   F:,   K:,   L:   -   no sizes, but these are all empty  DVD and card drives
I:    35.5 Mb out of 449 Mb

Like in the other reports above, Explorer does not show files or allow any visibility. of I:
I am worried that any further increase in the need for I: could stop my computer from running.
Is there any way of increasing the size of this partition, or doing something else to prevent it from becoming too full to operate?

May 17th, 2018 06:00

I have a XPS 8700 and have this exact same problem following a windows update today. Drive letter is not editable using disk management, when right clicking it only displays "help" as an option.

1 Message

May 17th, 2018 12:00

Same thing for me.  Happened last night after the Windows 10 update.  Except mine is the Local Disk D: on a Dell Inspiron 5379 with a factory SSD.

No Events found!