Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2015 07:00

XPS 8700 SE, AMD R9 270, Dell U2412M Monitor, 640X480 only resolution Windows 10

I upgraded the OS to Windows 10. Windows 8.1 was operating fine. After the upgrade, my resolution is 640X480. I can't change it anywhere. Device Manager initially showed the monitor as a Generic Non PNP monitor. I was able to change it to the U2412M with DisplayPort. It says it has the most recent drivers. If I try to recognize it manually, it will revert back to the Generic one. When I attempt to update the Catalyst dashboard, drivers, etc. it says I have the latest there, too. However, when I attempt to change the resolution either under Windows 10 from the desktop or from the Catalyst dash, my only choice is 640X480. On the Windows desktop, the pull down menu is grayed out so I can not choose any other resolution. In the Catalyst dash, there are no other choices. Any thoughts on how to get to a usuable resolution? My computer is a year old, and all of the components are still being used on the latest 8700 SE being sold, and advertised as Windows 10 compatible.

1 Message

July 30th, 2015 14:00

I was having the same problem.  Uninstalled and reinstalled the latest display drivers.  Nothing.  Made sure Windows 10 was updated.  Nothing.  Restarted the computer several times.  Nothing.

When I bumped into this post, I realized that you and I are using the exact same monitor.  Too much of a coincidence.  I knew it had to have something to do with HDCP or the Displayport connection.

Power off and unplug the power cable from your monitor for 10 seconds.  Yes you have to unplug it.  Then you'll get your resolution options back.  Cheers.

15 Posts

July 31st, 2015 09:00

I came here to update my post with exactly what you did. I just happened to unplug the DisplayPort, and plugged it back in, and my resolution issue was fixed. 

When i went into device manager, it still listed the Generic Non-PnP monitor, but now when I updated the driver it picked out the correct monitor, too.

Crazy easy fix. Now, I actually really like Windows 10.

1 Message

October 11th, 2015 06:00

Holy ***, that actually worked! I just registered to the forum to give you a big thank you. 

Also, this monitor has some serious issues..

1 Message

December 5th, 2015 06:00

I had the same problem with a Dell U2412M and Intel HD Graphics 530 in a Dell OptiPlex 7040.   This was driving me crazy trying to figure out when I stumbled on this post.  Suggestion to unplug the power from the monitor worked perfectly.   Thanks jburkhro.

1 Message

February 17th, 2022 01:00

Thank you, this worked for me (Feb. 2022) after 3 days of extreme frustration!

No Events found!