3 Argentum

RE: XPS 8700, no Windows 10 upgrade, see error below

Mav, there was no need to clean the SSD of all partitions. My original hard drive which is bootable (was actaully) was able to upgrade to W10 with ESP, PBR, RECOVERY and the C: as well as another data partition upgraded just fine.

The SSD refused though as we all know and basically because of some unexpected data structure or linking created by Paragon's program. Once I did the image, install W8.1, restore image and ensured it booted W10 upgraded fine.

I did 'shoot myself in the foot' though. One thought I had (wrong) was that W10 on the reboot went to the wrong boot drive (since I had two) via the BIOS Hard Drive table, and I was booting off the 2nd one in the list. So I delete the original figuring I'd put it back AFTER the install so I can still use the F12 menu to boot to the original drive. WRONG!!!! Drive is GONE from the BIOS. Been e-mail exchanging with Dell to no avail. Tech didn't even grasp what my problem was. Eventually when the matter wasn't closed I got called by a supervisor asking why? I explained and he seemed to understand. Seemed more technical and he agreed with me what the problem is/was. UEFI boot data, but not sure how to fix/restore it. We both think I need to do re-installs to each partition with the other drive disconnected. I've got the images of those but it will still take about 4 hours I suspect to do it, check booting, make sure everything DID recover and accessible, and see if the BIOS has been set up correctly. Both of us know there is a possibility of something going wrong too and I could be worse off. Right now Windows Boot Manager (controlled by MSCONFIG) comes up and shows both choices and defaults to the SSD. The Supervisor today sent me a link (which I had seen before) on how to add a hard drive entry to a Dell BIOS. Of course that was for a Phoenix BIOS and the 8700 has an American Megatrend BIOS so that doesn't work. I'll see if he has a better idea, I sent him a ton of data and screen shots I had on this. Hopefully he wouldn't glaze over and give me a way to resurrect the missing drive choices.

Glad you got it going.

The last response I got from Paragon blames it on a W10 code problem (which I doubt). Last product I buy from them you can be sure.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

This error is usually caused by network adaper drivers; which should be uninstalled before doing an upgrade to Windows 10. Take a look at this guide: http://appuals.com/windows-10-installation-error-0xc1900101-0x20017/

0 Kudos
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Not applicable

This was my experience...

Laptop setup:

- HP Envy laptop 2014 model

- HDD in bay 1 with Win 8.1; SSD in bay 2 with Win 8.1

- Both Win8.1 installations on the same motherboard and therefore both activated under the same key

- No Paragon Migrate software was ever used in this setup, just fyi

- UEFI had the correct boot entries

- HDD in bay 1 can successfully upgrade

Problem:

When attempting to upgrade Win8.1 to Win10 on the SSD in bay 2, the upgrade fails mid-procedure when the computer reboots. It seems the upgrade procedure looks for settings/files on the wrong drive (HDD) upon rebooting, and displays error code 0xc000025. Upon re-entering (rolled-back) Win8.1, error 0xC1900101-0x20017 "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with the error during BOOT operation" pops up.

Solution:

The only way to successfully install Win10 on the SSD:

- Back up any important data on both drives first.

- Physically disconnect the HDD from bay 1, regardless of whether it has Win10 installed.

- Boot from the Win10 CD, clear all partitions on the SSD (still in bay 2), and do a clean-install.

- After Win10 installation, shut down and reconnect the HDD to bay 1.

- Boot menu will show 1-HDD-Win10 and 2-SSD-Win8.1. Entry 2 is wrong and will not boot.

- Go into Windows 10 on HDD - entry1/bay1.

- Using EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD), point boot entry 2 to the correct drive letter.

- Restart and verify that Windows now starts from boot entry 2 / bay 2 on the SSD.

0 Kudos