Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

50 Posts

May 18th, 2018 12:00

XPS 8900, Windows 10, Drive K running out of space

I keep getting messages that Drive K: is running out of space. Disk Management reports that Drive K is a "healthy OEM partition of 450 MB". Looking at drive K, I find a "Recovery" folder. The messages are irritating since the recovery takes up most of the partition. I suspect that this partition should not be listed as an Active drive; but, what can I do?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 18th, 2018 16:00

Assuming you just updated Win 10 to the latest build, #1803, you're seeing Microsoft's latest bug... :Stickouttongue:

Microsoft is going to issue a fix, but the fix supposedly will only prevent the problem from happening on PCs not already seeing it.

Since you have the problem now, read this on the TenForums for a fix.

Note: Do not change or add anything to drive (partition) K:, other than removing its drive letter.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 19th, 2018 15:00

The solution is not to make it inactive its to remove the G: drive letter using Admin Command Prompt and using Diskpart.

this is a known issue in the 1803 Update, 

It is the recovery drive, you are not meant to see it, it is not meant to have a drive letter, remove the drive letter and everything will return to normal: 

Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator' 

Run this command and hit Enter 

diskpart 

Run this command and hit Enter 

list volume 

Note down the letter associated with that new drive 

Run these commands one at a time and hit Enter (replace G with the correct drive letter) 

select volume G

remove letter=G 

Close Command Prompt and restart your PC

No Events found!