Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2017 09:00

XPS 8900 desktop computer cannot boot with AHCI hard drive mode

Hi,

I recently buy a Dell XPS 8900 desktop computer (i7-6700, 3.40G). Flash BIOS has been updated the the latest version (Aug. 2, 2017) now.

I need it dual boot of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.4. As Ubuntu 16.4 installation requires the hard drive in AHCI mode, it is set in BIOS from the default RAID to AHCI. Unfortunately Windows 10 cannot boot correctly with AHCI mode.

The Ubuntu 16.4 installation is failed in all the trials at the moment. 

What is wrong in this hard drive mode change?

Thanks,

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

If you need to change a controller from one to another the process which normally works is to open msconfig.exe and set the system to boot into Safe Mode.  

Close the utility and reboot into the Bios.  Change the controller and save and allow the system to reboot into Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode, open Msconfig.exe again and set the system back to a normal boot.  When it reboots it will boot normally using the SATA controller set in AHCI mode.

Your actual configuration may effect whether you want to change the controller or not.  What type of drive is running as your primary can make a difference.  Are you running a M.2 drive?  I have no information about the capability of that system, so you may want to give more specifics about your exact configuration before you start the project.

Also, keep in mind some folks end up losing their Windows install because they can't get the Windows boot back.  You are going to install Ubuntu as UEFI?   Does the system have Linux drivers available?

13 Posts

Sorry, I did not give more detail on the boot failure previously. When boot in AHCI hard drive, the DELL logo appears. It says diagonsing something. Then, a blue screen comes. It says Automatic Repair, but it can succeed. Only I change AHCI back to RAID mode, Windows 10 can boot correctly.

Can you help me? Thanks,

13 Posts

August 19th, 2017 16:00

Thank you so much, Saltgrass. Your reply solves my previous difficulty.

Here is the hard drive information on this picture:

http://tinypic.com/r/29wpmh5/9

Now, when I install Ubuntu 16.04, it has such an error:

http://tinypic.com/r/29cmfea/9

I have no idea how this error exists, as the new partition is formatted. BTW, I use a USB live drive (8 GB) in the installation. 8 GB should be large enough?

Thanks,

13 Posts

August 19th, 2017 17:00

Thank you so much for your reply. With your help, the AHCI difficulty is solved.

The hard drive info is shown below:

Although the hard drive is very large for the Ubuntu, it complains 0 bytes disk space.

Now the Ubuntu installation has a new error, shown in the below picture:

I don't know why it complains no space. I use a live USB flash containing Ubuntu 16.04. This USB has 8GB, which is large enough?

Please help me out on the new problem.

Thanks in advance

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 19th, 2017 18:00

I am not really an Ubuntu person so if you don't get an answer you may want to go to the Ubuntu Linux forum.  

The 0 MB free space bothers me a little.  Are you installing Ubuntu as UEFI and Secure Boot?  I like to install it as pick during boot type configuration.  When folks want to get a Boot Menu so they can chose is where they get into trouble.  Since Ubuntu will install as Legacy on a GPT drive, you have to be careful.

Beyond that, you are installing on the 151 GB partition?  Should that be highlighted when you try to install?  As I mentioned, I would need to actually do an Ubuntu install to remember exactly how it is done.

No Events found!