Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2016 14:00

XPS 8900 - transfer OS AND third-party apps from 1TB HDD to 500GB SSD

I have a relatively new XPS 3900 with a single 1TB HDD. I want to upgrade the system to boot from a 500GB SSD and keep the 1TB drive for Data. I have a bunch of third party applications installed (Office, Adobe PS and Lightroom, etc.). How do I configure the system so that all apps and Windows 10 exist on the SSD? I would like not to have to unininstall and then reinstall the third-party applications to the SSD if possible.

How do I accomplish this in a reliable and quick way?

• 

16.7K Posts

March 31st, 2016 07:00

Probono,

It is best to reinstall the program if you have the disk or download link. The reason is that programs and games have so many files they load when installed. You could do a Google search for information on moving them over.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.You would click my name in blue, then on the next page in the upper right corner, click the words "send private message"

37 Posts

April 1st, 2016 08:00

I had to do a similar thing as what I understand you want to do. I went from a larger physical disk (partition) to a smaller physical disk by cloning the disks (partitions). Then I just swapped the physical disks, making the target, smaller disk my boot drive. Worked fine.

First, though, I had to shrink the larger partition to where it was smaller than the target. Large amount of unused space at the time on the source partition, so I was able to do so. I was able to shrink the source partition using Disk Management under Windows Computer Management. I did this in a WIndows 7 configuration, but would expect same functionality still there with Windows 10?

The software I used to clone from source to target partitions was "clonezilla". (Apologies if forum rules prohibit listing software--I hope not.)

Maybe this could work for you. Not sure.

Good luck.

371 Posts

April 4th, 2016 15:00

I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD when I did the same thing. It costs $20 but the whole procedure took like 30 minutes and was good to go on completion.

www.paragon-software.com/.../migrate-OS-to-SSD

No Events found!