Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2015 16:00

XPS L502x - will not be tested for Windows 10

Hi All,

Could someone possibly tell me when Dell XPS L502X will be tested for Windows 10 Upgrade? Or will it never be compatible for Windows 10? Eagerly waiting for Windows 10 upgrade please advise.

Regards,

Bala.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 25th, 2015 05:00

Vettribala,

There are no plans for testing the XPS L502X with Windows 10 from Dell. Below is a list of supported Windows 10 computers from Dell.

Dell Supported Windows 10 Systems

As you can see below, Dell will only support Windows 7/8 on this model.

1 Message

August 25th, 2015 21:00

I don't mean to kill the messenger, but that seems to be a rather flippant response.

Especially considering it tells customers who shelled out considerable money to purchase a quality piece of equipment that would last - only to find out 2-3 years later that Dell could seemingly care less.

Tell me why I should ever buy anything but the cheapest laptop from Dell anymore, if I ever buy anything from Dell ever again...

Phil

3 Posts

August 27th, 2015 02:00

I've actually upgraded to Windows 10 and it is going fairly smoothly but every once in a while I get a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Am considering going back to 7 but would rather not. I'm extremely disappointed with DELL that a laptop that I spend over €1000 on is no longer considered viable. This is unacceptable and reflects poorly on Dell's customer service.

1 Message

August 27th, 2015 14:00

I have recently upgraded my XPS L502X from Win 7 to Windows 10.  There are a couple of nagging issues I'm dealing with.  First, the properties of all of the former applications need to be adjusted to "Run as Administrator" or you won't be able to save anything to your hard drive (except in the desktop).  

Second, I have lost all audio output through HDMI.  The interface card recognizes the external hdmi device, but the Win 10 Sound settings does not.  I'm hoping for an updated device driver for the GT525M, or a Win 10 update to fix this disconnect.

Other than those issues, I've been pleased with the revised Win 10 interface and features.  If you're not willing or able to work through these issues I would recommend you wait until this stuff gets resolved.

Regards,

varcwx01

3 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 12:00

this is absolutely ridiculous! i spent a premium price for my L502x and now dell won't support an operating system upgrade? get your act together dell! i will never buy a dell product again until you support this machine and i spend a lot of money on dell products for personal use and my business only on the basis that i expected dell to support them all! i have several dell laptops and this is the only one that isn't supported? it's the one i use most! you have lost a customer who spends a lot of money with you every year until you correct this! if i cannot rely on you to support the machines i buy from you then i will never buy from you again!

1 Message

September 14th, 2015 14:00

Sorry Jesse L, this is just not acceptable, I have upgraded my XPS to Windows 10 and now have a number of issues from no webcam to slow internet. I cannot believe you have deserted us on this one. I like many other of your customers will  no longer be purchasing Dell products if this is the way you treat us. I have elderly parents on the other side of the world who I recently visited and who also have the Dell XPS L502X (on my recommendation). I also installed the Windows 10 update on their system and returned home. I can now no longer communicate with them on the webcam or restore their system to some workable status.

Shame on you Dell!! 

2.3K Posts

September 15th, 2015 17:00

It seems the laptop came out early 2011.  Generally Dell seems to support laptops 3 years out from launch.  Regardless the laptop is several years old and it would cost Dell time and Money to support every piece of hardware that could be compatible with Windows 10, so they decided to draw the line somewhere and with the XPS laptop line, they started with the L521X and went forward.  It is also possible the chipsets inside the laptop are not supported by Windows 10 or the manufacturers did not create drivers for them.  Example being the audio chipsets etc. 

3 Posts

September 16th, 2015 01:00

I purchased my laptop in the second half of 2012, not 2011. And regardless, it's still unacceptable. This isn't a $200 laptop for crying out loud. Plus, mine was purchased for business use so now I have a laptop that is, according to Dell, worth nothing but according to my accountant I am still depreciating on taxes and will need to depreciate for another 2 years. I just purchased another Dell (desktop) before this fiasco and that will probably be the last Dell I purchase.

September 16th, 2015 10:00

I too am very sad to hear this. This XPS laptop cost around $1000!  And now I cannot upgrade? It's just a matter of updating a few drivers, it's not rocket science. This is lousy support in my opinion! I will definitely look elsewhere on my next PC purchase!

1 Message

December 6th, 2015 04:00

I would reall like a solution for hdmi audio output, if anyone finds one please update this thread.

1 Message

January 4th, 2016 08:00

I'm in the same boat.  I have looked and tried a number of things but nothing will work.

If you ever find a solution, PLEASE let me know.

No Events found!