Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2015 11:00

XPS One 2710 (Mid 2012) and Windows 10

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me please if the "XPS One 2710 (Mid 2012)" is under investigation at dell for supporting windows 10. I have read in other posts that unofficial upgrades/install do work fine. Will DELL ever support the "XPS One 2710 (Mid 2012)" with Windows 10. If so, when ???

Regards,

Stephan

December 11th, 2015 11:00

Yeah I was also lucky, as mine was repaired under warranty (while it on paper had expired with two months) so kudos to the support for repairing it under warranty, but I will stick with win 8.1 as I also do not want to risk bricking it again with this win10 upgrade.

On the otherhand I really dislike the auto update feature in win 10 home, as my PC worked fine on win 10 platform until win 10 decided to upgrade my intel rapid storage driver. I did not even have the option to "hide" ignore this update (like now had to do with the free upgrade to win 10, as it already started to download it again from windows update)

6 Posts

December 21st, 2015 12:00

You've made the mistake of bringing Dell's corporate irresponsibility up again and no doubt this thread,  like others before it, will now be deleted. Now that Microsoft is getting aggressive with their update strategy (Windows update has stopped GWX control panel working), many more people are going to be left with expensive bricks through no fault of their own. Dell, or indeed Microsoft needs to take responsibility for this issue and show some honesty for a change. I, like others in this thread simply won't buy a Dell again and will go out of my way to tell other people not to as well.

December 30th, 2015 16:00

did you get this fixed ?? somehow ?? the same has happened to me :'(

December 30th, 2015 16:00

The windows 10 black screen has just happened to me as well now my computer is a big paper weight im lost on what to do i cant afford a new one and my warranty is up im waiting to see if i can get an extended warranty but i find that doubtful as it expired last year.....  Dell and windows 10 creators should be held responsible to help people whom this has affected not that i see that happening...

2.3K Posts

December 31st, 2015 15:00

First off, its not Dell's problem.  They stated they did not support installing Windows 10 on the XPS 2010.  If you do so anyway you take the risk.  Microsoft on the other hand should take full responsibility for practically forcing people to Windows 10 supported or not, weather anyone wants to or not.  Microsoft is supposed to be providing free tech support so I would contact them and explain that your computer was 'bricked' by the update that Microsoft claimed would work. They might end up fixing your computer for you.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2016 20:00

This is a very poor reply.  I have been buying PC’s from Dell when they were named "PC Limited" back in the early 80’s.  I have purchase well over 25 PC from the company for personal use and recommended their products to my tax clients for years.  I currently have three Dells now.  The last one only because my 2710 is trashed.  

I retired from Caterpillar after 38 years and have been working for Baker Hughes for the last 7 years.  In my 45 years I have been instrumental for the purchase of numerous Dell Laptops both for my office staff and field personnel.  I’ve NEVER experienced a HARDWARE failure due to a software installation.   The worse is that has happened is that a hard drive required reformatting and the operating system and drivers needed to be reinstalled.  Have you ever seen a PC hardware failure due to a software installation?  I'd like another example besides this one.  

I can tell you that after this experience with my 2710, I will NEVER purchase another DELL and will make sure to let everyone know why.

2.3K Posts

January 12th, 2016 11:00

Nowadays yes, its possible for software to damage hardware.  Thinking back on the 2710 issue, I don't think its actually a UEFI problem but software corruption from Windows 10.  If I remember correctly you have to reset the UEFI by removing the CMOS battery and doing a whole bunch of other stuff.  Regardless, Software and Hardware are more symbiotic then ever.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 12th, 2016 12:00

I can tell you that after this experience with my 2710, I will NEVER purchase another DELL and will make sure to let everyone know why.

Just because you know what WAS does not mean you know what IS now.

You had better read up on what IS now instead of relying on your knowledge of technology past.

UEFI stands for "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface".

The UEFI specification defines a new model for the interface between personal-computer operating systems and platform firmware. The interface consists of data tables that contain platform-related information, plus boot and runtime service calls that are available to the operating system and its loader. Together, these provide a standard environment for booting an operating system and running pre-boot applications.

January 12th, 2016 15:00

Maybe I'm being really dense but I don't see what the above has to do with the extract that's been quoted. The reality is that the new software fries and breaks the hardware and if you're out of warranty you're screwed.  Nobody cares about the details of changes that have been made to Windows. They care about the fact an expensive PC has been made completely useless by the almost forced (thanks to Microsoft's endless nagware built-in to Windows update) upgrade to Windows 10, and this is not true of any other PCs I have seen.  Any details of technical aspects like UEFI are just "noise" that distracts from the real issue, and the reason why the original poster feels that after years of being a Dell fan he won't buy Dell again.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 12th, 2016 16:00

Maybe I'm being really dense but I don't see what the above has to do with the extract that's been quoted. The reality is that the new software fries and breaks the hardware and if you're out of warranty you're screwed.  Nobody cares about the details of changes that have been made to Windows. They care about the fact an expensive PC has been made completely useless by the almost forced (thanks to Microsoft's endless nagware built-in to Windows update) upgrade to Windows 10, and this is not true of any other PCs I have seen.  Any details of technical aspects like UEFI are just "noise" that distracts from the real issue, and the reason why the original poster feels that after years of being a Dell fan he won't buy Dell again.

In which world do you get something fixed when out of warranty?

Not in mine.

I have a Honda whose radio should have been included in a recall. It was not.

I was out of luck.

Nobody cares about the details of changes that have been made to Windows.

Someone in this thread sure did.

They care about the fact an expensive PC has been made completely useless by the almost forced (thanks to Microsoft's endless nagware built-in to Windows update) upgrade to Windows 10, and this is not true of any other PCs I have seen.  Any details of technical aspects like UEFI are just "noise" that distracts from the real issue, and the reason why the original poster feels that after years of being a Dell fan he won't buy Dell again.

Not true of any other PCs you have seen?

If that PC ran Windows 7 or Windows 8, it sure did.

Technical aspects like UEFI is not "noise". It explains why software can break hardware.

If this sort of thing bothers you, you won't get away from it by buying another brand when it runs Windows.

THAT is the reality.

5 Posts

January 12th, 2016 17:00

ieee488

Thank you for point out the errors of my ways.  You are correct.  Things do change and I'm not current with UEFI.  However, what has also changed is that few vendor wants to take responsibility for their mistakes.  

For Dell to simply say that it the 2710 was not tested, is irresponsible without explaining in layman's term the hardware could fry.  Not everyone understand what UEFI stands for, old or young.   If they now knew that hardware can be damaged, then how much effort would it have taken to warn of a hardware failure?  

If Microsoft was unsure of their product and not proven on the vast population of LATE Dell machines, they should not have pushed it on us every time we booted.  

The point is that each are pointing the finger at the other and forgetting the poor customer in the middle.   You are right, things have changed....no one has the b...lls to take responsibility for product that have not been proven, be it software, hardware nor the customer for his stupidity.  You have shown me the error of my ways.  I take full responsibility for my stupidity and consider this a lesson learned.  Don't trust these two vendors and spend any more of my hard earned money on them.  

There's always the alternative, Apple.  The initial cost for their products may be higher, but simply work.  They did in the late 70's and still do today.  For the $2,500 I spent for the Dell 2710 that is now a brick after less than two years would have offset any price premium.  Thanks again!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 12th, 2016 19:00

If you think Apple will give you out-of-warranty service for free, you are deluding yourself.

As for taking responsibility, how about the owners in this thread actually taking some of the responsibility themselves? No one put a gun to your heads to install Windows 10. No one. New does not mean better. I knew better than to install anything new put out by Microsoft. It is not that I am smarter. It is that I didn't want to get burned.  

January 12th, 2016 21:00

ieee488 said

"In which world do you get something fixed when out of warranty?

Not in mine."

In what world do you buy equipment that keeps telling you it should be updated and in doing so becomes completely broken?  In what world is a computer sold with a warning that if you update the software the hardware will fail? No other PC I'm aware of has this problem.

ieee488 said

"Not true of any other PCs you have seen?

If that PC ran Windows 7 or Windows 8, it sure did"

Utter rot. What are you smoking (and can I have some)?  I have a Dell XPS 17 here upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and working fine. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro that I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 and it's working fine. Asking around at work not one person has ever had w Windows update screw up the hardware to such an extent it requires a replacement motherboard. Nobody believed such a thing was possible, and in fact the initial reactions on this thread when the story first broke was one of incredulity ... until more and more reports came in.  It is complete and utter nonsense to say "If that PC ran Windows 7 or Windows 8" it suffered a hardware failure turning it into a useless doorweight is patent and arrant nonsense. You made more sense when you were boring us all with your in-depth and irrelevant to this thread nonsense about UEFI.

ieee488 said

"If you think Apple will give you out-of-warranty service for free, you are deluding yourself"

Actually there are numerous accounts of where a genuine problem has existed Apple offering a repair or replacement out of warranty. Not that that has any relevance at all to what was being discussed - the application of a software upgrade which by default Microsoft keeps nagging you to apply (Apple doesn't) which completely trashes the hardware. Maybe I missed something (I only bought my first Apple a year ago) but when has Apple put out hardware that got completely trashed by an operating system upgrade?

January 12th, 2016 21:00

And the point that ieee488 appears to have completely missed is that even after three motherboard replacements (thanks to a purchased extended warranty) Dell (via their DellCares Twitter account) were STILL advising me that upgrading to Windows 10 should be fine and I should go ahead it with for a fourth time (even though my extended warranty had just expired)

It was only when pointing out their own (sub-contracted) engineer had reported over 20 such failures they amended this advice to "Wait a few weeks as new updates that improve Windows 10 are coming out all the time".  Farcical! Showing a complete lack of understanding of how updates are applied (if it's running the update that fries the motherboard how are you going to apply a subsequent update after the initial one that fries the motherboard?)

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 13th, 2016 07:00

And the point that ieee488 appears to have completely missed is that even after three motherboard replacements (thanks to a purchased extended warranty) Dell (via their DellCares Twitter account) were STILL advising me that upgrading to Windows 10 should be fine and I should go ahead it with for a fourth time (even though my extended warranty had just expired)

It was only when pointing out their own (sub-contracted) engineer had reported over 20 such failures they amended this advice to "Wait a few weeks as new updates that improve Windows 10 are coming out all the time".  Farcical! Showing a complete lack of understanding of how updates are applied (if it's running the update that fries the motherboard how are you going to apply a subsequent update after the initial one that fries the motherboard?)

You would have had all these problems if you had not installed Windows 10 in the first place. That's closing the door after the horse has left the barn.

And when you saw what happened the first, and still installing Windows 10 the 2nd time is insanity.  You couldn't think for yourself? If Dell had told you to jump off the bridge, you would have?

No Events found!