Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2015 11:00

XPS One 2710 (Mid 2012) and Windows 10

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me please if the "XPS One 2710 (Mid 2012)" is under investigation at dell for supporting windows 10. I have read in other posts that unofficial upgrades/install do work fine. Will DELL ever support the "XPS One 2710 (Mid 2012)" with Windows 10. If so, when ???

Regards,

Stephan

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 13th, 2016 07:00

Maybe I missed something (I only bought my first Apple a year ago) but when has Apple put out hardware that got completely trashed by an operating system upgrade?

You do realize that Apple controls both the hardware and the software, right?

In the PC world, Dell/HP/Lenovo/Asus/Acer/whoever controls the hardware and is at the mercy of Microsoft's software.

January 13th, 2016 07:00

I also know it was my responsibility to upgrade to win 10 in the first place, so yes lesson learned and I am thankfull Dell repaired my XPS 2710, but there is no official warning or communication from Dell that we should not upgrade to WIN 10 (they now I bought one as I have to have an account at Dell.com to be able to purchase the machine). I was not the first with the issue and also unfortuneatly was not the last.

I believe as a company you should have a moral obligation inform users of critical flaws that arise with the hardware by upgrading when you have this issue being reported by your customers and it is occuring to more than 10 users.  they also know the average computer user (like me) will just upgrade their current win OS to win 10 as it is being pushed so aggresively by Microsoft

But it would be good if a party (either MS or Dell) would recognize or acknowledge the issue and come up with a fix (which does not have to be free! but would give me some options like a change the mobo (depending on the cost I would opt for this option given the money already spend on the XPS 2710 anyway) ; or do not upgrade a specific driver if they can identify which one is the cullprit or simply state do not upgrade at all as this is a known issue and there is no resolution; your PC reaches end of life as soon as MS declares your current OS end of life).

As that would leave me with options as a customer (these threads are not in the interest of Dell and will cause reputational damage) and actually pinpoint out to MS that if they want me on Windows 10, then this is what they should be solving.

Actively making this a Microsoft issue would help as it is MS that actively wants users on windows 10, now its left in the middle as it only is stated its not tested for windows 10 so compatiblity cannot be garuanteed.

in the forum we have mixed stories stating some upgraded successfully and some did not, that is leaving me stuck in the middle.

It also is becoming harder and harder to stay away from Windows 10 and to actively prevent my OS (WIN 8.1) from upgrading itself. I already had one instance where it was installing windows 10 via windows update (despite it being a hidden update at first in windows update and GWX disabled/removed)

I want to be able to have a stick to poke back at MS to stuff that win 10 update in a place where the sun doesn't shine, but currently cannot do so as there is no publicly available information from Dell that upgrading to win 10 on this machine will (potentially) cause issues with the hardware that will brick the computer.

So the next time MS decides that it is in my best interest to upgrade to windows 10 I at least have some evidence that as I customer I would very much like to upgrade my OS, but that can only  happen when they upgrade my hardware and they should stop bugging me if they have no intention to upgrade my hardware as I will have no intention to upgrade the OS.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 13th, 2016 08:00

I think we can all see why the Angry Bird logo is your icon.

Your replies aren't even making any sense now. What does "You would have had all these problems if you had not installed Windows 10 in the first place" mean? It's patently not true. The PC worked fine until Windows 10 was installed, worked for a couple of weeks after that and (I'm guessing because I can't recall what activity was done over two weeks, but am going with the third engineer's advice) only actually failed when the first Windows update was applied as part of a shutdown. . I would have had ZERO problems if I'd stayed on Windows 10, just like I've had zero problems since ignoring Dell's own advice (the DellCares account I mentioned earlier who told me I should go ahead and install Windows 10 after the THIRD motherboard replacement) and reinstalled Windows 8 ignoring their insistence after 3 failures that it would be safe to install Windows 10 for a fourth time.

Blimey, if doing what I did is "insanity" or that "I couldn't think for myself" what does that say about Dell themselves?

I work in I.T. full time. Nobody at the large corporation I work at could believe a simple windows update run A FEW WEEKS after a Windows 10 install could "fry" a motherboard and require a hardware replacement. When I finally got confirmation after the third replacement of what the real problem was people who work fulltime in I.T. looked at me like I was an idiot (as, I must admit, I did at the engineer when he first told me). But heh, I guess the whole world other than ieee488 is "insane" or can't think for themselves.

Any sensible person (and let's be clear here ieee488 has demonstrated more than once he is the very opposite of the word "sensible") would naturally assume when hardware fails a couple of weeks after a software upgrade it was just some weird hardware failure.

When it happens a second time seemingly at random (not powering up 3 days after a fresh install) it is perfectly sensible to think "There's something else broken here. Maybe they didn't do the fix properly"

To be clear:  the Dell engineer who did the first two replacements and does Dell hardware repairs as a FULL TIME JOB didn't think installing Windows 10 again was "insanity". Dell's EUROPEAN REPAIR HEADQUARTERS in Germany (acting for the UK) who asked the unit to be sent to them at the engineer's request and at significant cost for a full post-mortem after the second failure spent two weeks trying to get to the bottom of the cause and they didn't think installing Windows 10 again was "insanity". Even after 3 repetitions the Dell support team on Twitter were actually insisting it wouldn't be a problem.

So,based on ieeee488's "thinking" they are ALL insane and should have thought for themselves the way he does.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight (rolls eyes, whilst backing away from the deluded fool)

Well I've been thinking for myself NOW. And I didn't have to think for more than a fraction of a second to realise that this guy is an idiot and a troll.

And yes, more fool me, I am "insane" for wasting time responding to an idiot and an obvious troll.

Sad.

For you, it is always someone else's fault, isn't it?

And since, you can't rant over at Microsoft's forums, you come here and do it.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

You do realise that you were the idiot who started talking about the irrelevant and spurious Apple comparison and not me, right?

Of course you did because you're just a troll. Now run back home to Mummy and Daddy like a good boy and go play on your Xbox instead of hanging around here stirring up flamebait.

I did not make the first comment about Apple, Exfd7h2 did. You should read all the posts instead of just ranting.

Of course you did because you're just a troll. Now run back home to Mummy and Daddy like a good boy and go play on your Xbox instead of hanging around here stirring up flamebait.

Calm down. We don't want you to get a heart attack now do we, grandpa. LOL.

I think we can all see why the Angry Bird logo is your icon.

Your replies aren't even making any sense now. What does "You would have had all these problems if you had not installed Windows 10 in the first place" mean? It's patently not true. The PC worked fine until Windows 10 was installed, worked for a couple of weeks after that and (I'm guessing because I can't recall what activity was done over two weeks, but am going with the third engineer's advice) only actually failed when the first Windows update was applied as part of a shutdown. . I would have had ZERO problems if I'd stayed on Windows 10, just like I've had zero problems since ignoring Dell's own advice (the DellCares account I mentioned earlier who told me I should go ahead and install Windows 10 after the THIRD motherboard replacement) and reinstalled Windows 8 ignoring their insistence after 3 failures that it would be safe to install Windows 10 for a fourth time.

Blimey, if doing what I did is "insanity" or that "I couldn't think for myself" what does that say about Dell themselves?

I work in I.T. full time. Nobody at the large corporation I work at could believe a simple windows update run A FEW WEEKS after a Windows 10 install could "fry" a motherboard and require a hardware replacement. When I finally got confirmation after the third replacement of what the real problem was people who work fulltime in I.T. looked at me like I was an idiot (as, I must admit, I did at the engineer when he first told me). But heh, I guess the whole world other than ieee488 is "insane" or can't think for themselves.

Any sensible person (and let's be clear here ieee488 has demonstrated more than once he is the very opposite of the word "sensible") would naturally assume when hardware fails a couple of weeks after a software upgrade it was just some weird hardware failure.

When it happens a second time seemingly at random (not powering up 3 days after a fresh install) it is perfectly sensible to think "There's something else broken here. Maybe they didn't do the fix properly"

To be clear:  the Dell engineer who did the first two replacements and does Dell hardware repairs as a FULL TIME JOB didn't think installing Windows 10 again was "insanity". Dell's EUROPEAN REPAIR HEADQUARTERS in Germany (acting for the UK) who asked the unit to be sent to them at the engineer's request and at significant cost for a full post-mortem after the second failure spent two weeks trying to get to the bottom of the cause and they didn't think installing Windows 10 again was "insanity". Even after 3 repetitions the Dell support team on Twitter were actually insisting it wouldn't be a problem.

So,based on ieeee488's "thinking" they are ALL insane and should have thought for themselves the way he does.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight (rolls eyes, whilst backing away from the deluded fool)

Well I've been thinking for myself NOW. And I didn't have to think for more than a fraction of a second to realise that this guy is an idiot and a troll.

And yes, more fool me, I am "insane" for wasting time responding to an idiot and an obvious troll.

You do realise that you were the idiot who started talking about the irrelevant and spurious Apple comparison and not me, right?

47 Posts

January 21st, 2016 08:00

I've been reading lots of threads on the 2710 because of my issue.  Rants aside from me...lots of these posts are infuriating.  I never installed Windows 10, I just need a new motherboard and can't even get that.  Does Dell take responsibility for that?  XPS flagship and no motherboard for a system barely 3 years old?  You knew better to install anything by Microsoft?  I'm sure that will stand up in any court of law.  I just knew better!  Ha!

And then the question becomes why would I want to spend $200-$300 on a system that I can't get to the latest Operating System?  Assuming I can even get a motherboard from Dell  

Taking responsibility?  I'm sorry.  As soon as Dell realized these 2710's are screwed with Windows 10, did Dell push warning messages through their preinstalled apps to warn it's users?  Ahhh....no...they didn't do that.  Funny I get other updates on that Dell about about updating the bios and network drivers..

I have never checked anywhere for approval before I installed an OS to any hardware.  Even when my hardware didn't meet specifications for XP 10 years ago the system just ran poorly or gave a message about not meeting minimal requirements.  Nothing broke as that one IT veteran stated.  The biggest fear was driver support.  That's it.

And I can understand the times have changed.  Software can now break hardware.  Thank you Intel!  Absolving Dell of all responsibility is hogwash.  It's a joint issue between Dell and Microsoft where the consumer is paying the price.

Like Exfd7h2 said above and like Dell's poor foreign support agreed with.  If you want long term support on hardware (I deem long term support as 5 years) then buy from a company that makes a handful of gems being Apple and roll with bootcamp for when Windows is a must.

And Exfd7h2 paid way more for his 2710 then I did.  I can only imagine how angry some people can be.

Comparing a Honda radio to this?  Are you for real?  A fair comparison would be a faulty DVD or BuRay drive.  And just like a radio it's a minor thing to replace.

67 Posts

February 5th, 2016 17:00

Have an XPS 2710 core i7 (mid 2012), Win 8.1 Pro that I upgraded to Win 10 (Pro). Didn't do a clean install. Have had sporadic problems, similar to many other Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrades. Latest Win 10 update, caused computer to fail a couple of weeks ago: as many other posters in this thread, couldn't get it to boot, so couldn't get to boot menu to set up USB boot or restore to image created a month ago. With 3 year support soon to expire, contacted Dell support. They thought it was the motherboard, sent tech to replace it. Got computer to boot, began to re-install Win 8 from recovery disk (tech then left), and computer again failed while on the phone with support taking me through the re-install. Returned to un-bootable state. Dell support sent shipping box to return it to Depot Repair. It's on its way.

When it returns, hopefully fixed (and wiped clean/reset to factory settings with Win 8 re-installed), I can reluctantly keep Win 8-8.1 (I develop some software as an amateur, would like to test on a Win 10, touch screen computer like the XPS 2710), or take a chance to again upgrade, this time by clean install, to Win 10 (Pro).

Reading on this thread, I wonder if I did a clean install instead of the previous upgrade on-top of the old system and files, whether this would make any difference. If not, I guess I would keep it as a Win 8-8.1. Seems better to have a functioning computer than one that's again un-bootable.

Suggestions welcome.

6 Posts

February 15th, 2016 02:00

I just got Microsoft to remove the option of Windows 10 upgrade from my PC. They connect remotely and get rid of the app and nagware. They use a batch file called BlockGWX_v3.

I think a section of chart below sums up the issue. The drivers aren't there for our PCs, so it is upgrade at your peril.

Sometimes the upgrade works fine sometimes it does not. We are still working on it. The main issue is the availability of drivers which are provided by the system manufacturer.

10:33 am

Me

I see, so I guess customers are caught in the middle between MS and Dell

10:34 am

A

For example I even checked the availability of drivers for your PC model but could not find one. This causes varying issues like black screen, users not able to play audio or video.

A

You can say so.

A

Customers and we, the agents both are caught up.. :)

Me

Thats why I've taken the safe option. I'm risk averse. Thanks for all your help and have a good day.

10:35 am

A

Haha.. Thank you, D. Once you click on "End Chat", a small feedback window will pop up. We would be happy to have your valuable feedback. I assure you it won't take more than few seconds.

10:35 am

August 1st, 2016 08:00

Felt I should update this almost a year later.  

With the deadline for free Windows 10 fast approaching and a year of being stuck on Windows 8 to avoid the "fried motherboard" issue now that I'm out of my extended warranty, I decided to just write off the XPS One as it's a bit slow anyway (I got the *** i5 version because the i7 version wasn't availabe at the time I purchased).  I figured I might as well give the Windows 10 upgrade a final try 10 minutes before the midnight deadline expired because Dell had hinted that if I waited new updates were being made all the time and an upgrade might be possible in future.

Four days later with all the latest updates applied it's still working!!!!!

My guess is that in the year between the original Windows 10 update and now they fixed a lot of stuff and put it into the core upgrade download. Certainly the process is a LOT smoother now than it was a year ago (I also did a clean install on my laptop which I'd successfully updated to Windows 10). New screens as you do the install indicate the process has been dramatically changed and maybe that is why the upgrade this time appears to have gone OK.  Even running "Windows Update" after the upgrade only applied two patches requiring one reboot where the original upgrade kept finding new updates that were needed and new reboots - at which point the motherboard would get fried.

So for those holding off because of all the problems there is a glimmer of light IF (and only if) my latest experience is typical - but undertake the upgrade at your own risk. It appears to have worked for me after 3 failures and replaced motherboards after the original update, but it might not work for you!  This was to a machine with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 that Dell had applied after replacing the motherboard.

You might be thinking "What's the point? Windows 10 isn't free any more" in which case this article might prove useful: www.theverge.com/.../microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-still-available

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 1st, 2016 14:00

Let us know how it fares with Windows 10 RS1 out tomorrow...

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 18:00

Well, more than a year has now passed and Dell has done... NOTHING.

Oh, I am shocked!

From the bottom of my heart, Dell, thanks... for NOTHING.

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 18:00

Well, more than a year has now passed and Dell has done... NOTHING.

Oh, I am shocked!

Thank you, Dell.  From the bottom of my heart, Thanks... for NOTHING.

2.3K Posts

December 27th, 2016 09:00

They are not going to.  As they stated when Windows 10 came out, the XPS 2710 is NOT supported.  

No Events found!