Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2015 09:00

can not create recovery disk error on Inspiron 15 5000 with Windows 10

I just got Inspiron 15 5000 with Windows 10 and tried to create recovery disk, and got an error message saying "can not create recovery disk" after it tried to initialize for a while.   I waited over night thinking it might be running update and tried this morning, but still no change.

October 31st, 2015 11:00

Same problem with my brand new Inspiron. Time to take it back and start reporting in the blogosphere.

1 Message

November 9th, 2015 14:00

I bought mine today and I have the same issue!

2 Posts

November 10th, 2015 19:00

Good night

I have a brand new Inspiron 15 5558 and I have the same problem. It's not the usb drive you are using because the error shows up before the program looks for the drive.

Please if someone solves this issue it will be very appreciated.

6 Posts

November 14th, 2015 19:00

Found the answer that worked for me. Dell has it identified as a conflict with Dell Power Manager Lite. 

See

www.dell.com/.../EN

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 16:00

Same issue with my Dell 3847 which doesn't seem to have Dell Power Manager Lite - is this a laptop program? 

In any case tried different drives up to 32GB, different ports, no joy.  

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 16:00

Yes, Dell email support answered me that uninstalling "Dell Power Management Lite" it should solve the problem and it did!!

I'm now installing the new version that says in the description that solves this problem:

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails;fileId=3495290799&osCode=WT64A&productCode=inspiron-15-5558-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AP&DCP=DNDTAG

1 Message

December 14th, 2015 00:00

Hi Terry,

Appreciate you are trying to help but I am having exactly the same issue with my 10 day old £1,000+ Dell XPS8900. 

I tried creating the Recovery Drive before installing any software and it does not work (and yes, I have a >16 GB USB drive, which works but the process does not work with this or 3 other drives using any of the ports on the PC).

I recently requested support from Dell on this and was told it was a software issue so I had to pay money for their support...on a 10 day old machine with no new software installed...so it's Dell's configuration that does not work and either I have to fix it or pay for support?  Come on!

Another unhappy customer.

Viamanga

2 Posts

May 27th, 2016 13:00

I contacted Dell technical support at<ADMIN NOTE: Phone number removed per privacy policy>.  I was told the Create USB Recovery is not what should be used.  The technician is downloading Dell Backup & Recovery software to create the disk.  It is taking a while so I won't know if it works until tomorrow.  I was told recovery media will be available for purchase from Dell about August 15.

I am having the same problem with a 3847 running 10.  I would like to know of a fix.

1 Message

May 28th, 2016 03:00

To solve the problem I downloaded an ISO image file for Windows 10 from the Microsoft website site for Windows 10 installation and transferred the ISO image to a USB flash drive. Do a search for Windows 10 ISO image or installation and the webpage with show in the results. Then I changed the BIOS settings for boot sequence so that Windows starts from the USB drive. To access the BIOS you need to press a function key on the keyboard. I cannot remember which one it is and the information is not readily available from Dell but I searched the web for that too. Then I installed Windows 10 from the USB drive. When Windows was reinstalled successfully I was then able to create a recovery drive without any errors. The errors in creating the recovery drive are caused by the Dell version of the Windows 10 installation that comes with the PC. When you reinstall Windows 10 it is a good idea to find the license key for Windows 10 just in case you need it for a fresh installation of Windows. I discovered a free utility call BelArc Advisor which you can download and run. It provides detailed system information and license keys for all installed software and operating system information. You can print the license key information for Microsoft Windows 10 and then use it if you are asked to enter a license key during installation. Fortunately I did not need it but had the information available just in case something went wrong. Dell technical support and Microsoft Support is very poor and a waste of time for this problem. Basically, you are on your own. I will not be choosing Dell again.

5 Posts

July 29th, 2016 16:00

Tried to create the USB rescue disk on a 8500 but it fails.  Tried it on my wife's Toshiba laptop and it worked fine. The difference I noticed is that on the Dell it pops up the Windows disk formatting window but on the Toshiba it just formats the disk and completes the task.  The Dell fails saying "cannot format disk" even though the win format window shows success.

1 Message

October 4th, 2016 10:00

I had the same experience.  I checked Events and found several errors regarding Shadowcopy and disk errors Iindex?). I did a scandisk in properties/tools and as admin cmd prompt chkdsk C: /F.  The next time I tried to create my recovery stick it worked fine; no errors.

3 Posts

October 16th, 2016 16:00

continues to fail for me.  Dell is very disappointing.

2 Posts

January 4th, 2017 04:00

Hi Dell.

I have bought a brand new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series 5559 shipped with preinstalled Windows 10 and having a Recovery partition of about 14 GB, but there is no preinstalled  program like "Dell Backup and Recovery" for creating FACTORY RECOVERY BACKUP which is mandatory in case of HDD failure as it is the Original Genuine Windows 10 copy and everybody needs to create a USB or DVD factory backup of the same.

Someone will say that Windows 10 have built-in utility to create a recovery Drive which is totally garbage in this case as it is not working and everybody knows it very well.

so, to solve the problem I downloaded DELL BACKUP AND RECOVERY software on order  to create a USB thumb drive but when I tried to create a backup on a USB / DVD, it gives me "AN ERROR OCCURRED" message and quits without any reason. Moreover I have noticed one thing that when I opened my Computer Management > Disk Management, I noticed there that Dell Backup and Recovery Software has created 2 recovery partitions, one of 25.75GB and another 900MB which are also useless and no benefit yet.

I have called the Dell customer care but no answer. I emailed them but no answer.

Dell What's your strategy and how you will respond to these kind of problems which your customers are facing and no one is here to answer.

I'm a Computer enthusiast and a marketing manager on a firm in UAE as I have done plenty of business with Dell Local Retailers and resselers, but due to these technical issues and lake of interest in solving customers' problems Dell is making me to change my mind.

Regards and Waiting.  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 4th, 2017 06:00

On a new system with Win 10 preinstalled, you should be able to create a Recovery Drive which will allow a Factory Reset.  A factory Reset is Win 10 plus the OEM utilities on the system when it arrived.  If you select your personal info it might do a reset to just after you set the system up but will not recover your personal utilities and apps.

There is also a Win 7 designated Imaging utility which I use for my system backups.  I am sure you know how that works.

If you cannot make a recovery drive, I have seen three reasons.  First, there may be some corruptions so running a System File Check may clear that up.  Try using a 32 GB flash drive since I have seen it fail on smaller ones and occasionally with one used previously, but not sure why.

If you have modified the OEM partition configuration it might also cause a problem, which happened on my system.

I have not seen any suggestions to use the Dell Backup and Recovery utility on either of my Win 10 systems.  I did see the nag screens on Win 8.1

No Events found!