aztucson
1 Copper

RE: can not create recovery disk error on Inspiron 15 5000 with Windows 10

Tried to create the USB rescue disk on a 8500 but it fails.  Tried it on my wife's Toshiba laptop and it worked fine. The difference I noticed is that on the Dell it pops up the Windows disk formatting window but on the Toshiba it just formats the disk and completes the task.  The Dell fails saying "cannot format disk" even though the win format window shows success.

0 Kudos
lev3
1 Copper

I had the same experience.  I checked Events and found several errors regarding Shadowcopy and disk errors Iindex?). I did a scandisk in properties/tools and as admin cmd prompt chkdsk C: /F.  The next time I tried to create my recovery stick it worked fine; no errors.

0 Kudos
curtdfw
1 Copper

continues to fail for me.  Dell is very disappointing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
wsmalik77
1 Copper

Hi Dell.

I have bought a brand new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series 5559 shipped with preinstalled Windows 10 and having a Recovery partition of about 14 GB, but there is no preinstalled  program like "Dell Backup and Recovery" for creating FACTORY RECOVERY BACKUP which is mandatory in case of HDD failure as it is the Original Genuine Windows 10 copy and everybody needs to create a USB or DVD factory backup of the same.

Someone will say that Windows 10 have built-in utility to create a recovery Drive which is totally garbage in this case as it is not working and everybody knows it very well.

so, to solve the problem I downloaded DELL BACKUP AND RECOVERY software on order  to create a USB thumb drive but when I tried to create a backup on a USB / DVD, it gives me "AN ERROR OCCURRED" message and quits without any reason. Moreover I have noticed one thing that when I opened my Computer Management > Disk Management, I noticed there that Dell Backup and Recovery Software has created 2 recovery partitions, one of 25.75GB and another 900MB which are also useless and no benefit yet.

I have called the Dell customer care but no answer. I emailed them but no answer.

Dell What's your strategy and how you will respond to these kind of problems which your customers are facing and no one is here to answer.

I'm a Computer enthusiast and a marketing manager on a firm in UAE as I have done plenty of business with Dell Local Retailers and resselers, but due to these technical issues and lake of interest in solving customers' problems Dell is making me to change my mind.

Regards and Waiting.  

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

On a new system with Win 10 preinstalled, you should be able to create a Recovery Drive which will allow a Factory Reset.  A factory Reset is Win 10 plus the OEM utilities on the system when it arrived.  If you select your personal info it might do a reset to just after you set the system up but will not recover your personal utilities and apps.

There is also a Win 7 designated Imaging utility which I use for my system backups.  I am sure you know how that works.

If you cannot make a recovery drive, I have seen three reasons.  First, there may be some corruptions so running a System File Check may clear that up.  Try using a 32 GB flash drive since I have seen it fail on smaller ones and occasionally with one used previously, but not sure why.

If you have modified the OEM partition configuration it might also cause a problem, which happened on my system.

I have not seen any suggestions to use the Dell Backup and Recovery utility on either of my Win 10 systems.  I did see the nag screens on Win 8.1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos