I proceeded to update my BIOS to A13 from a DOS environment using a USB bootable. Due to the new windows 8,1 EFI parameters, I needed to:
- disable secure boot
- enable legacy
switch BOOT system to LEGACY from UEFI
after restart, laptop did boot into the legacy interface and I was able to successfully flash my BIOS.
The problem now is that the laptop only starts in LEGACY and since Win 8,1 only works in EFI, I can't access Windows anymore.
Is there a way to get back to the prestart panel and change the boot mode back to UEFI.
I updated my bios to A13 using the Dell Update service. It was straightforward, no need to disable antivirus programmes just get the service to identify your computer (7737) and then follow the instructions.
Best of luck.
Thanks JH, I updated mine in DOS.
For future reference, I suspect the reason the update from a Windows Environm. stalled was due to an Nvidia driver conflict (either that or some other app running). Anyhoo, I fully uninstalled the Nvidia entries (including data, temp, apps, softw and registry).
Also deleted a blue compressed folder from Win32 (forget the name...)
This time, the update to A13 went smoothly,
Now stuck in Legacy mode, but a friend said he can fix this easily. Partay time emoticon.Music.title
OK folks, now upgraded to Windows 10 phew!. Below is how I did it, others may have taken a different route.
1. Contact Dell Support in UK and ask them to send you a Windows 8 bootable USB stick (part number FG2K3)
2. Use this stick to reinstall windows 8 which will have different disk partitions, note you may have to do this twice as the first time it seems to reinstall the OS already on your machine. The second time you try, it install a new OS from the USB stick.
3. You will need a new USB stick to complete next steps.
4. Now download windows 10 using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Run Media Creation Tool, which should save W10 onto the new USB stick
4. W10 should now be present on this new USB stick.
5. Now just open the stick menu and launch the application.
6. W10 will start to install, takes a while so just be patient.