Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2017 13:00

x86 WinPE Image for XPS 13 9360

I want to install Ubuntu onto my laptop and eliminate the Windows partitions.  BIOS updates are a problem however.  I want to put a WinPE image on a USB stick that I can run the Dell .exe files from, but so far I've only gotten an amd64 WinPE image to run, which can't run the BIOS update executables because it doesn't have WOW64.

1)  Has anyone successfully built a 32-bit WinPE image for an XPS 13 laptop?

2)  Are there any special BIOS boot settings to get it to work?  AHCI vs. RAID?  [No] Secure Boot?  Which EFI boot image on the USB stick?

References:

grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/.../updating-dell-bios-using-winpe.html

en.community.dell.com/.../19414825

532 Posts

June 13th, 2017 05:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

We’d have been more than happy to assist you. Unfortunately, we have limited support for Ubuntu Operating System. Also, we have not tested the OS deployment as per your query, and support only OEM licenses for Windows. Sorry that we couldn’t help you much on this.

2 Posts

June 13th, 2017 11:00

It ended up being easier than I thought.  I made a simple x86 WinPE image like this:

copype x86 C:\WinPE_x86

MakeWinPEMedia /UFD C:\WinPE_x86 P:

The tricky part is the BIOS setup.  It requires Secure Boot to be disabled and Legacy BIOS to be enabled.  After I did that the USB stick booted right up and I was able to use it to install Dell BIOS updates from .exe files.  The keyboard and mouse stopped responding afterwards, so I had to hard reboot the device.  Dell BIOS updates still require a 32-bit WinPE image, or full 32-bit support via WOW64, which WinPE64 doesn't have.

532 Posts

June 14th, 2017 04:00

Thank you for sharing the details ryancerium. We’ll surely save the information for our future reference. We appreciate your efforts. With regards to the WinPE image, we have not tested the OS deployment as per your query, and support only OEM licenses for Windows. Let us know if you have any further questions, we’ll surely try answering the same.

No Events found!