5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 12th, 2022 02:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell XPS 15 7590; Windows 11 22H2; problems when secure boot is enabled

XPS 15 7590

XPS 15 7590

Hello.  I recently updated my Dell XPS 15 7590 from Windows 11 to version 22H2.  After 3 failed attempts where the software downloads and installs, but it did not get past the bootup screen on restart (i.e. the Dell logo in white on a black background).  It automatically uninstalls the upgrade and restarts Windows.  I read a forum that said try disabling the Secure Boot, which I did - and it worked! However, now if I go back into the Bios to enable the Secure Boot again, I get a blue screen with stop code: inaccessible boot device.  If I disable the secure boot, everything is fine! 

Does anyone have advice on how to successfully resolve this?   I want to enable the secure boot without running into an error with the newly updated Windows 11 22H2. 

thank you! 

22 Posts

March 21st, 2023 07:00

The Dell XPS 7590 was released in May of 2019.   I understand why it may be difficult to keep up with Microsoft's ever changing requirements, advertising this laptop as Windows 11 compatible is just wrong.

March 21st, 2023 07:00

Dell.... at least give us, your clients, a reasonable explanation and tech details about why the issue can't be fixed, I think it's the least we deserve after all these months spent hoping and trying.

22 Posts

March 21st, 2023 08:00

There is no CSM for Dell XPS 9570.   I think that may be the cause of the problem.

Different Thread

Possibly.

My chat about the case closed with the words:

"If you don't have a solution then you can close it as unsolved."

"Thank you for confirming, please be rest assured, once the new BIOS version will be available, the issue will get resolved."

I don't know...

Hello Artur, so Dell is telling that with the next BIOS update  (I guess v. 1.21.0 or 1.20.1) the issue will be gone. Let's hope so!   Did they tell you a possible release date ? 

22 Posts

I agree with @sandrobernardinello 

8 Posts

March 24th, 2023 22:00

@WideBodyToo wrote:

I called Dell, these Windows features were added 4-5 years after the XPS 7590 was released.

Secure Boot has been around since Windows 8 and Kernel DMA Protection (which leverages VT-d/AMD-Vi) has been around since Windows 10 version 1803. The XPS 15 7590 turned up a year after 1803 was released. So no, these features weren't added to Windows 4-5 years after the XPS 7590.

It looks like Windows 11 22H2 has a dodgy driver (or wrong return value from a UEFI variable) that triggers an Inaccessible Boot Device BSOD on systems running 9th Gen Intel Core processors, as a Google search shows similar upgrade behaviour for Lenovo and HP systems as well as Dell.

The annoying part in all of this is none of these vendors are engaging with Microsoft to fix the problem on behalf of their customers. A pox on all their houses.

March 25th, 2023 17:00

To all the people following this thread, active or just waiting for a solution...
A lot of people here are professionals. We all work with the hardware we need for our business.
As long as we don't need to replace we don't. But this usually is related to performance needs we have
or missing technical features. It should not be because of the laziness of the technical departments of our vendors. You are interested to protect our environment Dell?
So why you force us to replace our equipment because you are too lazy?
For most of us the processor power is good enough to do our business.
I personally upgraded to 64GB of RAM and a NVME of 2TB. Good for me for a long while.
I recommended before this issue Dell to a lot of people. Because of the support...
Is this just related to Hardware? Hardware without Software is useless.
So polute the planet because oft this? Come on...
Think about.

March 30th, 2023 04:00

I was facing the same issue as well. Disabling secure boot allowed me access back to the drive to boot. Currently it keeps rebooting with the "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart." in the right hand side

1 Message

April 6th, 2023 12:00

I'm a self employed person with a listed company client base. I purchased this relatively expensive laptop a while ago now and the experience has not been good. The accessories dropped to bits (keyboard, mouse etc) fairly quickly and required Logi replacements that are still going happily. But Dell's software has regular compatibility issues with Windows. My machine was plagued with frequent crashes on Teams calls in particular until an update from one or another side eventually made them go away after several months. More recently the issue highlighted in this thread has been completely ignored by Dell and I am now being asked to put up with a blue screen crash and a roll back of the installation on a monthly basis. I can't have this with my client base. I've just bought an IMac. Bye bye Dell and Windows.

1 Message

April 9th, 2023 11:00

Hello everyone. After experimenting a bit using all the users feedback here, I found that we can still keep Secure Boot turned on but have to disable the two virtualization options in Bios/UEFI. As I personally won't need the virtualization features it's OK with me. I'm at least happy I don't have to compromise on security features. Just a note: I did disable Secure Boot before installing 22H2 update but kept the virtualization features intact (ON) but disabled them after the update and re-enabled Secure Boot.

I still hope there's a future fix for the users who need virtualization features. Otherwise it's also my last Dell product sadly.

1 Message

April 9th, 2023 14:00

I disabled Virtualization and VT for Direct I/O, and it seems to have worked

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

April 11th, 2023 21:00

This is a HUGE issue for companies such as mine. We have VBS (which also requires secure boot) enabled on thousands of Windows 11 systems. We cannot disable VBS, as it is required for the security benefits that it provides. Windows 11 22H2 has been out for like 6 months now. Is there seriously still no fix for this?! All our vendors require us to keep our Windows endpoints up-to-date for them to provide support (cannot be running a version of Windows 10/11 that is more than 2 updates behind). Thank you Microsoft for increasing your update cadence, making all the other companies follow along, and then completely dropping the ball on QA…..

Anyways…. Back to my original issue… how are we supposed to upgrade 12k+ endpoints that have VBS and Secure Boot enabled when the upgrade locks the system up at the Dell logo boot screen when one or more of those features are enabled? It sounds like I can’t even temporarily disable any of those features and then re-enable them, as that would then cause BSoD’s. This is just fantastic….

April 12th, 2023 00:00

Sorry guys, i checked my bios settings and after the upgrade to the latest bios, secure boot turned off, when i turned it on,  the usual blue screen appeared again, lets say i was in harry to be happy, so sorry for the misinformation.  

April 12th, 2023 00:00

....and finally the issue fixed, after upgraded bios to version 1.21.0 ! The 22H2  Windows version updated without any problems to my XPS 7590.  

No Events found!