5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 12th, 2022 02:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell XPS 15 7590; Windows 11 22H2; problems when secure boot is enabled

XPS 15 7590

XPS 15 7590

Hello.  I recently updated my Dell XPS 15 7590 from Windows 11 to version 22H2.  After 3 failed attempts where the software downloads and installs, but it did not get past the bootup screen on restart (i.e. the Dell logo in white on a black background).  It automatically uninstalls the upgrade and restarts Windows.  I read a forum that said try disabling the Secure Boot, which I did - and it worked! However, now if I go back into the Bios to enable the Secure Boot again, I get a blue screen with stop code: inaccessible boot device.  If I disable the secure boot, everything is fine! 

Does anyone have advice on how to successfully resolve this?   I want to enable the secure boot without running into an error with the newly updated Windows 11 22H2. 

thank you! 

402 Posts

October 12th, 2022 13:00

I can't say I know what will definitely work, but I know what I would try if it were my system.

I'd be reasonably sure that backing up your files, then installing 22H2 from scratch, would fix the problem; however that would also require restoring the backups and reinstalling apps. For a less extreme possible solution, I would try an in-place upgrade to 22H2, by running setup.exe in the root (topmost) folder of Windows 11 install media. There's a chance it will suffer the same problem, but perhaps the mechanism is different enough to avoid it.

Build USB (or DVD) media with Microsoft's media creation tool, then mount it on the running system. Alternatively you can just download the ISO image and mount it with File Manager, but it may be advantageous to have the separate install media on hand if you need to install from scratch.

Mount the installation media and run setup.exe (it will show in File Manager as "setup" with file type "Application"). Install Windows 11 and opt to "Keep personal files and apps". Like an upgrade from Windows Update, the upgrade will back up the existing OS image so you can reverse the upgrade if necessary.

I'd suggest making sure your backups are good before trying this, and if you want to really ensure you can return to your current state, get an image backup with Macrium Reflect Free or similar utility.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2022 04:00

Hi, I just managed to install windows 11 22h2, turned off secure boot, turned off memory integrity in core isolation. Upon install, I turned back on secure boot and worked just fine. As soon as I switched on memory integrity in Windows 11, upon restart I got the BSOD with cannot access the drive. So I guess the problem lies with the drivers affecting memory integrity in core isolation in windows. Machine is dell XPS 7590

1 Message

October 20th, 2022 06:00

The same for me. I only switched Core Isolation to "OFF" and successfully updated to 22H2 (didn't touch secure boot & left it "ON" in BIOS).

This persists even after updating BIOS to the newest version 1.19.0 two days ago.

I left my core isolation "OFF" but hope to get bug fix from Dell (or MS) asap.

October 20th, 2022 10:00

I have the same issue as well.  Disabling secure boot allowed me access back to the drive to boot.  Currently it keeps rebooting with the "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart."  sideways unhappy face.  Funny, I only recently updated the BIOS to the latest version.   I was thinking it was that.  Let's hope Dell has a fix.

October 24th, 2022 13:00

My wife and I both have XPS 7590 i7 laptops.  Same problem as well where we have the latest 1.19 BIOS and all other Windows 11 updates to date.  Both machines showed on their Windows Update that 22H2 was available.  I let it download and try to install it.  Once it got to the point of restarting and showing the round DELL logo at the top and the (now solid, not dashed in appearance) circle spinner at the bottom, it gave the sideways sad face drive inaccessible error.  Both then automatically uninstalled and reverted to before the attempted upgrade.  I have not yet checked, but from what others have described, it sounds like secure boot and/or core isolation settings are affecting the upgrade.  I've never made changes to the BIOS and would think that the upgrade process would work.  It sounds like many people are running into this and DELL should post either an update to BIOS or an article to explain what settings should be changed officially.

October 25th, 2022 10:00

To follow-up on my post from yesterday about trying to install the Windows 11 22H2 update on my two XPS 15 7590 systems, the only thing I had to do to get it to work was to go into Settings and search Core Isolation, then turn off Memory Integrity.  I then let Windows Update download and install 22H2.  It rebooted a couple of times as normal during the process and had no issues.  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 25th, 2022 22:00

thanks, BobTheBuilderz.  Seems Dell hasn't yet solved this.. but glad to know I'm not the only one!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 25th, 2022 22:00

thank you for your reply, Matklar.  Hopefully, Dell resolves this soon!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 25th, 2022 23:00

Thanks for your messages, michael_anderson.  I'm glad you were finally able to install the 22H2 update with no issues.  As you see from my original message - I was also able to install 22H2 - by disabling the Secure Boot in the Bios. However, I'd like to be able to enable the secure boot again, without running into problems.  I am concerned about the vulnerability to security, privacy and malware. But, every time I enable secure boot - I get the blue screen: inaccessible boot device.  This is my main concern.

591 Posts

October 26th, 2022 06:00

Hello,

Have a look at this microsoft webpage and click known issues under the heading Windows 11 22H2.

October 26th, 2022 12:00

I have this "Memory Integrity" Off whole time but still I get stuck at BSOD. So the solution to this problem cannot be Memory Integrity setting.  It has to be Secure Boot which I have not switched off and tried installing the update. 

Dell has to fix this right ?

402 Posts

October 26th, 2022 20:00

Way up-thread I suggested a fresh install or an in-place upgrade using 22H2 installation media. Has anyone tried it yet?

1 Message

October 31st, 2022 05:00

I have done a clean fresh install using 22H2 installation media and get the same issue. Seems that disabling SecureBoot in the BIOS is the current workaround until MS/Dell find a proper fix.

November 6th, 2022 03:00

I too have the same issue. Is someone at Dell working on fixing this issue? If so, what is the ETA for the fix?

November 8th, 2022 04:00

Hi everyone,

I am running Win 11 Pro on a Dell XPS 7590 laptop. I too ran into problems updating from 21H2 to 22H2. I engaged both Windows tech support and Dell tech support, and neither seemed to be aware that there was a problem, a neither was able to solve it. One thing they recommended is that I turn off BitLocker. But that didn't then allow the 22H2 release to install. It might have helped, but I don't know.

Thanks to this conversation I tried disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS. Note that I'm running the very latest BIOS available for this device. That change did in fact allow 22H2 to install without issue. I did not touch Core Isolation - it remains on. I did the 22H2 installation using the Windows Installation Assistant which was downloaded from:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

So that's my news. My experience suggests that Secure Boot is the issue, not Core Isolation. Also, I didn't have to turn off or uninstall any antivirus/firewall/etc. (I have McAfee installed.) 

What I have yet to test is whether the system will boot if I re-enable secure boot in the BIOS. But as of right now 22H2 is installed and running fine.

/Brant

No Events found!