Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PK

October 22nd, 2013 09:00

Aurora R4 Windows 8.1 Issues

This issue is solved by installing the newest command center 3.5.

Link here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=P1K0M

Hope this helps you all.

Hi,

I recent upgraded my Windows 8 to 8.1 on my Aurora R4 which is bought in April 2013. After the upgrade, I found several issues:

1. SecureBoot is not configured as shown in the desktop.

So I enable it in BIOS and choose mode Standard. Looks fine to me.

2. AlienFX doesn't work any more.

No lights or blink on my desktop anymore. And after I shutdown the computer, the Alien Logo blink with red & orange light which is not my AlienFX theme. 

I believe I'm not the only one: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19528731.aspx

3. Thermal Controller doesn't work as well.

This is the most annoying one. If I choose Auto( Alien Control ) in thermal controller, the PCI Fan & Hard Drive Fan will keep at 100% and make a loud noise. So right now I change it Manual( User Control ). But it still make a loud noise during booting ( Whole time booting from I push the button to the windows desktop shown up until the thermal controller start up, not just 3 or 4 seconds at the beginning as before ) and shutting down.

Could you provide us some updates of AlienFX & Thermal Controller to make them compatible with Windows 8.1 ASAP?

Thanks

December 6th, 2013 12:00

can you list the full name of the driver? it is just a matter of uninstall and installing. not sure how can i get it wrong?

It's the same one as listed in your post: App_NT_AWCC305010_W8_W81_W7_Setup_P1K0M_ZPE.exe.

I think what you can try here is:

1. Uninstall any command center in your Windows 8.1. Maybe also delete the folder where your command center lives.

2. shutdown ( instead of restart ) your R4.

3. pull out the power cord and press the power on button for 5 seconds.

4, Start computer and install Command Center 3.5.

5. Restart to check whether it works.

6 shutdown, wait for a while and start again to check whether it works after shutting down.

71 Posts

December 9th, 2013 05:00

hi PaulTod,

if now you open the command centre and under the thermal did all the sensor running fine? Is the cpu water pump working? Mine showing the pump is failed.

Its confirmed not working on mine. 1st i think its hardware, but i have the hdd installed with win8 and all working fine on it. My problem only at win 8.1. I had this problem soon after i update it.

Listen,

All I did to fix this was :

1. Got to the site. 

2. Selected Win 8 64 and downloaded the new command center

3. Installed it over the one I had.

4. Restarted.

Works like a charm, no more fan / light problems, the system works as it should. 

71 Posts

Hi there, are u guys have the problem fixed with the 3.5 ver command centre? Are the lighting and thermal works even after the system restart|shutdown? Can you confirm that please? Why am i still having problem? The only difference is having new UI after the update. It works until i restart/shutdown the pc. It is same as before...

93 Posts

solved everything for me too, all i did was to install it ..... check your pump , maybe it failed and for some reason it is not running again ....

11 Posts

Listen,

All I did to fix this was :

1. Got to the site. 

2. Selected Win 8 64 and downloaded the new command center

3. Installed it over the one I had.

4. Restarted.

Works like a charm, no more fan / light problems, the system works as it should. 

December 17th, 2013 09:00

Hi daddyz,

I have also a problem with the thermal control showing that the pump is off, and the ambient sensors show respectively 0°C, 0°C and 26°C. To fix this, I had to create a new thermal control profile, then the sensors show the correct value and the pump is shown as running.

Unfortunately, the fans are making me crazy!  During the boot process, they go full speed until the user session is opened and thermal control is launched. Then,  the fans won't slow down under 55%. If I try to set manually the fan speed, say 15%, the speed won't change until I reboot the system.

I tried to shut down the computer, unplug the power cable, press the power button for 20 sec, then wait another 20 sec and then plug and start the system but it didn't change anything.

Does someone have any suggestion?

11 Posts

December 17th, 2013 09:00

Can you please try the following?

Uninstall Command Center. 

Re-install Command Center.

Reboot. 

Notice there's no reboot after uninstall! 

December 18th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that I first upgrade my old command center with the 3.5, and as I was facing issues, I uninstalled it completly, reboot, re-installed it, reboot and I still have the problems.

I will try to do what you suggest - without the reboot between uninstall and install

11 Posts

December 18th, 2013 01:00

There is also a complicated way to uninstall with registry delete and what-not, stuff that an average user has no idea how to do and it's also dangerous. I would not advice you to do it unless you fully understand it.

Sadly, I've no idea where that description is (it's on the Dell site), they hide it very well...

December 18th, 2013 02:00

Thanks for the advice. I work in IT so yes, no problem, I fully understand it.

I will search for this uninstall procedure and  I'll let you know if I manage to correct this.

71 Posts

December 18th, 2013 18:00

hi there, can anybody that had successfully install/update the command Centre help to uninstall,shutdown. and power on install again?  this is the basics way and I want to know is it me only have problem.Take note my problem only happens at Windows 8.1.

December 19th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

Someone on another forum told me to download and install all updated drivers from Dell website. He said he had the same problem we are experiencing and that solved the thing.

I didn't have time yet to try this.

December 23rd, 2013 01:00

Hi everyone,

I finally managed to solve this issue!

Note that I have an Aurora R4 and Windows 8.1
Note that I had already installed Command Center 3.5 and still was facing fan issues.
Note that I make a difference between "reboot the computer" and "shutdown the computer then restart". It's important.

Here are the steps I followed:

- Uninstall Command Center from add/remove programs and at the end select 'No, I will restart later'.

- Shutdown the computer then restart

- Update the BIOS with the latest version (A10 for me) and at the end, select 'reboot the computer' (the software will shutdown then restart the computer itself anyway)

- Install Command Center 3.5 and at the end select 'No, I will restart later'.

This is the only procedure that worked for me, although I tried several sequences of uninstall/reinstall the command center 3.5

Hope it will be usefull!

71 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 02:00

Hi Sducharlet77,

that is one crazy update procedure i ever heard. anyway, i might need to try after all. Yesterday, i tried clean install from win 8 (everything working fine) than update to 8.1. This way not work. Please dont wasting time reinstalling OS it will not work. I remember Dell gave this suggestion before.

I wander why some people do not have problem or had their system upgrade easier.

will let you know if your procedure works. thanks.

Hi everyone,

I finally managed to solve this issue!

Note that I have an Aurora R4 and Windows 8.1
Note that I had already installed Command Center 3.5 and still was facing fan issues.
Note that I make a difference between "reboot the computer" and "shutdown the computer then restart". It's important.

Here are the steps I followed:

- Uninstall Command Center from add/remove programs and at the end select 'No, I will restart later'.

- Update the BIOS with the latest version (A10 for me) and at the end, select 'reboot the computer' (the software will shutdown then restart the computer itself anyway)

- Install Command Center 3.5 and at the end select 'No, I will restart later'.

This is the only procedure that worked for me, although I tried several sequences of uninstall/reinstall the command center 3.5

Hope it will be usefull!

December 23rd, 2013 03:00

I forgot to mention that I already had updated the BIOS, so I had to flash the BIOS again during the procedure, even if the updater said 'this version is already installed'.

I sincerely hope it will work for you

No Events found!