Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2014 18:00

Black screen with movable cursor

Hey there, I have a Dell 15r and it is currently running Windows 8.1. This morning it working just fine. I was on YouTube and a video wouldn't load, so I simply restarted my laptop. Thats when the trouble began. I wm now only able to log in, and once that happens, my screen is just black with a movable cursor. I've taken the battery out and that didn't work. I am however still able to CTRL ALT DEL and enter task manager, log out, lock, and switch user. How do I go about remedying this problem. Also, f8 and f11 dont take me to the Launch Last Healthy session or whatever and I'm extremely frustrated. 

10 Posts

August 28th, 2014 16:00

Hi Everyone,

I hope this will help you fix this specific issue you have on your Dell system.

On your Desktop Screen Press "Ctrl + Shift + Escape" to bring up "Task Manager".
Go to "File" choose "Run New Task" then "Create New Task" window will pop-up, Type in "msconfig" and put a Check Mark on Administrative Privileges in "Create New Task" window then hit "Okay".
"System Configuration" window will pop-up, go to the "Boot" tab. Under Boot Options put a Check Mark on "Safe Boot" hit "Apply" "Okay" and "Restart". Your computer will restart and after you log-in you will notice that you are now in SAFE MODE.

On SAFE MODE, go to Control Panel > Programs & Features > View Installed Updates.
Look for the "Update for Microsoft Windows" & "Security Update for Microsoft Windows" that has the install date of August 2014 then Uninstall them ONE-BY-ONE. (Make sure to uninstall only the said update file name and addition, every time you uninstall one file it will prompt you to restart the computer. Just choose "Restart Later").

After Uninstalling all those Updates from your computer, go back to the "Task Manager", refer to the instructions above but this time remove the Check Mark on Safe Boot, then hit Apply, Okay and Restart Later.

Now, go back to "Control Panel", then open "Recovery" and choose Open System Restore.
On System Restore window hit Next, choose a Restore Point (choose the date which has the last known good configuration) and hit Next. then FINISH.

Heads Up!! The system restore process will take a while and after the System Restore process your computer will restart.... ..  . Log-in and it's back to normal.

hope this steps will help you fix the issue.
Cheers!!

October 12th, 2014 13:00

This worked !!!  Back to normal!  Thanks !!

2 Posts

August 25th, 2014 21:00

I am having the same issue with my Dell 15 z model. 

2 Posts

August 27th, 2014 02:00

I resolved the issue by Refreshing the PC. however i lost my 8.1 update and the gone back to windows 8. now. then i got it updated to 8.1 later.

August 27th, 2014 03:00

I'm having exactly the same issue on my dell PC. Was fine yesterday powered off last night and this morning I'm only getting the black screen with the cursor after I log on. Any ideas much appreciated

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 28th, 2014 14:00

Hi

As the system is not starting up in the Normal mode you will need to start the system in safe mode and follow the further steps.

Switch ON the system and switch OFF the system 3 to 4 times when the Dell logo appears. This will make the system to go into ‘Windows 8 Advanced Startup Options’ screen. Please select Troubleshoot option and choose the Advanced Options and then choose the Windows Startup Settings option, finally hit the Restart button. When your PC reboots you will be able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking from the familiar looking Advanced Boot Options screen.

Once the system is in Safe Mode with networking mode please refer to the link below to download, install and execute it to run malware scan tool.

http://bit.ly/2A6CAo

After the scan finishes it should give the virus name please select the files and delete it and restart the computer to check for the issue resolution.

Also, Clear the startup and uninstall any 3rd party tool bar like the Search protect by conduit tool bar using Revo uninstaller from the link below.

http://dell.to/15CIYIH

Please let me know if this helps.

August 30th, 2014 05:00

Thank you so much I used this fix this morning and was able to get the screen back and also recover my files. I am now doing a happy dance. Thanks once again

1 Message

December 23rd, 2014 02:00

Ya frnd , I too had this issue when suddenly my system screen become black in color and  I only find my mouse and keyboard working and at  that time only my cursor is moving around the screen. If you too had same issue then you can go with manual process suggested in various sites but if inspite of following all that you can’t fix out this situation then can use this PC Repair Tool as this tool is very capable to fix out all your problem related to your pc registry.

I hope this will help you fix this specific issue you have on your Dell system.

1 Message

June 14th, 2015 10:00

I got a much worse problem and have been searching all over without any results or luck. I can boot normally but I need to boot into safe mode which is not working at all. It just shows a black screen, if I try moving my cursor it appears and disappears and at the same time SAFE MODE text blinks on all four corners of the screen. I have tried a lot of way booting into safe mode but nothing seem to work. I have an inspiron 15Z laptop with Windows 8.1. I have tried pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL but nothing is responding. In order to get back to normal I have to boot into UEFI boot options and from recovery options using CMD with the following comman.

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

which I assumes turns off safe mode but I really need to boot into safe mode. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Message

August 14th, 2015 00:00

Thanks Guys!!! You helped me a lot!!! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!! :)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 1st, 2015 09:00

1 Message

January 14th, 2018 14:00

Hi.
I'm having this issue in Jan 2018, and I don't have any Aug 2014 named files.
What are the actual names of the implicated files so I can delete them directly

Rgds.

3 Posts

March 9th, 2018 22:00

Does it effects on latest data after running recovery

3 Posts

Does it effects on latest data after running recovery..??

3 Posts

Does it effect on latest data after running recovery..??
No Events found!