Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2012 19:00

Bluetooth / Vostro 3450

Windows Update fails to install the following driver:

Broadcom Corporation driver update for Dell Wireless 1701 Bluetooth v3.0+HS

Download size: 1.6 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

This driver was provided by Broadcom Corporation for support of Dell Wireless 1701 Bluetooth v3.0+HS

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=4932

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

I downloaded SetupBtwDownloadSE.exe from Broadcom's website, but it too fails to install:

Could not start Microsoft Bluetooth stack. Please reboot your computer and try again.

Obviously, rebooting didn't solve my problem.

Then I tried to update the driver through Windows's Device manager. Result:

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Dell Wireless 1701 Bluetooth v3.0+HS

Access is denied

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

I also tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting, but the same problem just repeats itself.

1.8K Posts

December 4th, 2012 09:00

Hi sinocelt,

I suggest you to download and install the Bluetooth drivers from the following link:
http://dell.to/QEZGnH

Please disable the driver update from Windows update and do not install it again. Let me know if you need further assistance.

15 Posts

December 5th, 2012 10:00

Thank you, Rajath

Alas, it didn't work.

I downloaded the file, it unzipped itself, started to install the drivers, but then stopped with the following message:

This program has compatibility issues

When I click on Get help online, I land on a Microsoft page that states:

Solve a problem with Broadcom Bluetooth Software

Broadcom Bluetooth Software has been blocked from running because it might prevent your PC from starting correctly in the future.

Your version of Broadcom Bluetooth Software isn't compatible with this version of Windows.

I so regret "updating" to Windows 8. :emotion-12:

15 Posts

December 6th, 2012 00:00

SEVEN hours. That's the time I spent today trying to make Bluetooth work, after sleeping only FOUR hours. I've also had problems with the video card (finally solved) and the fingerprint reader (which still doesn't allow me to log into Windows).

It seems the only solution I've got left is to have someone from Dell come and take this notebook away for repair. And to never, ever buy a Dell again. I had a Lenovo before, graciously provided by my university, and updating from XP to 7 went without a glitch. Apparently, I should have stuck with their products.

1.8K Posts

December 6th, 2012 14:00

Hi sinocelt,

Thank you for your reply and it may be upsetting when the Bluetooth features fails to work. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name ‘DELL-Rajath N ’highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide the system’s Service Tag and contact details(including the name on the account) so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. Please let me know if this helps.

15 Posts

December 16th, 2012 01:00

So finally, I had to spend SEVERAL MORE DAYS re-installing Windows 8 and all my programs. I also had to find two drivers that weren't available on Dell's website, and struggle to make the ATI driver work -- and it isn't even stable; from time to time, it just crashes, for no apparent reason.

Fortunately, Microsoft is now making its own computers, so that's what I'll buy, next time. That should make Windows upgrades a lot less painful. Ironically, with the money I lost from not being able to work for more than a week, I could already have bought another laptop.

27 Posts

March 27th, 2013 09:00

Dell has really dropped the ball by saying the Vostro 3450 works with Windows 8. It doesn't. So either don't upgrade or buy a new computer. NOT a Dell!!!

No Events found!