Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2013 12:00

Creating Rescue DVDs

It seems, based on other threads here, that Dell isn't capable of providing a solution for customers to create their own OS recovery DVDs in the Dell Backup & Recovery product they ship with systems.  Support told me today that it does but when I try it only sees USB sticks not blank DVD media.  I'm running the latest build, 1.0.0.5, according to the app, though I've seen references to 1.0.0.6 online.  If Dell isn't capable of fixing this software (HP had similar software starting 15 years ago that worked great then so it's a shame that Dell can't get it to work now), they need to ship Win8 DVDs with every system until they can fix it.  Maybe that'd be the incentive they need to fix it.

Anyone else get 1.0.0.5 to burn a DVD?

2.6K Posts

May 29th, 2013 01:00

Hello TubaOrNotTuba,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. 

Dell Backup and Recovery enables a user to create and manage a Rescue Disk which can be used to store backups as a premium user. It will have all the necessary files to restore the computer in the event of a crash.

NOTE: To create a rescue disk, you will need to have an external hard drive with adequate amount of free space. Rescue Disks cannot be created on a DVD. 

May 29th, 2013 05:00

Allan,

That is not accurate, at least according to en.community.dell.com/.../19471699.aspx.  That states "To create a copy of the factory image, follow these steps:" with step "C" being "Select either USB Flash Drive or Discs as per your requirement. Ensure to connect the USB Flash Drive or put blank media into the optical drive."  

Brian

May 29th, 2013 06:00

Any why is it when I called tech support they told me I should be able to create rescue DVDs too?  In fact, there are posts that talk about DB&R failing when it gets to the 2nd disc or creating a blank 4th disc.  BTW, no one in their right mind should pay the "premium" price for the "upgraded" version when they can buy a full backup program like Acronis for that cost that does 10x what Dell's does.  All I want is the OS DVD so when this thing crashes I can restore Windows 8 to the factory image (or a base MS image, I don't care which).

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 29th, 2013 19:00

I think you can order a replacement DVD from Dell. If you have Windows 8 Professional, you have Windows 7 downgrade rights and you can download a Windows 7 install ISO from Microsoft partner Digital River.

May 30th, 2013 05:00

Still not the point.  Dell is shipping software that should do something based on their own documentation yet doesn't.  That makes it defective.  Doesn't Dell then have an obligation to fix their defective software, especially since they waste ~10% of the storage capacity of the Latitude 10 to store the recovery data that can't be used like their documentation states?  Dell's customers should not stand by and find ways to excuse away bugs.

2.6K Posts

May 30th, 2013 06:00

Hello Brian,

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience. 

Going by the heading of the this thread, I gave the previous information about the Rescue Disks. However, there are two different things. Rescue Disks and Recovery Media. 

Rescue Disk: Dell Backup and Recovery enables a user to create and manage a rescue disk which can be used to store backups as a premium user. It will have all the necessary files to restore the computer in the event of a crash.

Recovery Media: Dell Backup and Recovery can recover the Operating system or backup from the recovery media. It burns the Factory Image. 

In case you are facing issues in creating recovery Media, please help me understand if you are getting any error message. Please ensure to use Use Branded +R DVDs. Memorex DVDs are not supported by Dell PCs. 
I would also suggest you to update the Dell Back and Recovery software by clicking on the “Update” tile. Once updated, try create the recovery disks and check. 

For more details, see Using the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager.

If you are in United States, You may also request for the media Here.

May 30th, 2013 11:00

When you click recovery media it demands a USB memory stick.  It will not accept a blank DVD, either single or dual layer.  I have also ensured I'm on the most recent version, as I stated, 1.0.0.5 and when I click Update it doesn't update to anything newer.  I am, however, able to burn data to a blank DVD using ImgBurn so I know the DVD burner works, it's Dell's software that's defective.

2.6K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 05:00

Hello Brian,

Please help me understand if you have tried uninstalling and re-installing the Dell Backup and Recovery. If not, please try uninstalling and re-installing the Dell Backup and Recovery

June 10th, 2013 11:00

Allan, yes, but this didn't work right out of the box.  Have you actually tried doing what en.community.dell.com/.../19471699.aspx states you should be able to do to reinstall to the factory image?  Until you have let's not waste my time telling me to reinstall when others are experiencing the SAME problem.

No Events found!