ned7077
1 Copper

Re: Dell Backup and Recovery is Unable to Create a Recovery DVD on Windows 8

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Inspiron 17R-5721 and have updated every software package trying to make recovery DVDs.  I have made 6 coasters so far and am running version 1.0.0.6 of the Dell Backup and Recovery software.  I have updated the BIOS to A06 also.  I am an IT support tech with over 15 years of experience and this is absolutely ridiculous that a PC can ship without either including recovery media or the ability to create it successfully.  Please help.

I don't know why but it finally worked after failing to accept a 2nd disc several times and then the last 2 discs failing after writing the first disc displaying the error "An error occurred." before the verification.

0 Kudos
chrisarch
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Seriously, it boggles the mind that Dell is shipping these things like this. I just picked up an Inspiron 3521 from Costco and followed the instructions in this thread, updated the Backup and Recovery to 1.0.0.6 and updated the BIOS to A06, and the unhelpfully vague "Error has occurred" message appeared as soon as the first DVD burned... I've bought a few HP laptops but this was my first Dell laptop. The HPs never had an issue with creating the Recovery DVDs right out of the box, so I just assumed that was standard for OEM manufacturers. Apparently not. I'll try the USB flash drive method next as soon as I pick up a 16GB flash drive, but I have serious reservations about keeping this thing longer than the 3 month window for returning it.

0 Kudos
PCInnovation
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I just received a Dell Inspiron 17R-5721 for my client.  Experiencing identical problem trying to create recovery media. What is the procedure (in Canada) to request a set of recovery disks from Dell?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Phone Technical Support and hope for the best...

See here for details; I made on a poll complaining about the lack of service/options to do with Reinstallation DVD Requests about half a year ago:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19476992.aspx

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bill-T
1 Copper

RE: Dell Backup and Recovery is Unable to Create a Recovery DVD on Windows 8

Jump to solution

Hi everyone - any updates about this?  I have a new Inspiron 7000 with Windows 8, and I'm going nuts just trying to create bootable factory backup DVDs.  The Dell tools don't work, the native Windows 8 tools don't work, 3rd party solutions are confusing ..... yikes!  On my 8-year-old XP laptop, it was totally easy to create a stack of CDs that contained a factory image - I find it hard to believe that backup control has actually regressed in those years

I too am a Canadian customer, and Dell won't let me order backup disks 😞

0 Kudos
PCInnovation
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Bill-T,

Yes, I too experienced same on a new Inspiron and other models.  Yet it worked fine on my new Venue 11 Pro Windows 8.1??

Dell customer support had no problem sending me recover disks (they now send a USB).  Call back, if no satisfaction, the only way is to escalate your call to the manager.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Bill-T
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks PC!  Are you a Canadian customer as well?  Do you know how much they'll charge for this bootable USB? 

Does the USB contain a full image, or just a "rescue" shell?

Cheers

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
PCInnovation
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I am as Canadian as the driven snow, eh!  🐵

If you have a newly purchased computer, then it's no charge!

0 Kudos
ned7077
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I called support and they pointed me to this article from Microsoft that the tech said fixed many of the Backup media problems:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi, I have a new XPS 8700 and also can't make recovery DVD's.

When you spoke to customer support did they say that it was no longer possible?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos