Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2013 17:00

Dell Inspiron 15r 5537 sleep-wake problem/Change

Hello,

When ever I wake up my laptop from sleep by opening up the lid then pressing the power button it sometimes restart itself instead on showing the lock screen. I want to if there's a to fix this problem.  I have Windows 8.1. 

July 8th, 2014 09:00

I have solved my laptop wakeup problem!! DELL 5737 17R

I'll try to explain what's happened.

After upgrading to Win8.1, windows update try to update the Inter HD Graphics driver preinstalled into dell systems. This video driver is *CRUCIAL* for suspend/Hibernate/LidClose mode to operate properly.

This is the signature of the update Win8.1 suggest to apply:

- Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

*** DO NOT APPLY THIS UPDATE *** !!!

If you do, this will conflict with AMD graphic adapter and result into nasty problems, including:

* Unable to restore from black screen if you close lid then reopen
* Unable to properly hibernate
* Unable to restore from LCD monitor switchoff for powersave

IF you see DELL site support, you can notice that the LATEST Intel HD video available is OLDER than the liveupdate installed (from microsoft).

Solution:

1. Remove/Uninstall all the AMD stuffs
2. Reboot
3. Remove the Intel HD Video driver and reinstall the older driver from DELL site
4. Reboot (disconnect lan/network... *IMPORTANT*)
5. Disable automatic LiveUpdate
6. Reattach LAN/network
7. Look for available update package, hide "Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1 xxxx"

You want now, after a final reboot, to say NO, NO, THANKS, to LiveUpdate of Intel Video Driver.

You have now a dell with working sleep/hibernate mode.
When i close lid than reopen it, finally the LCD switch back on.
Dont allow liveupdate to install that nasty update again.

Of course, the AMD accelerated graphics wont work, because all AMD drivers are now missing.
I dont really care for now, i will try to reinstall AMD/Catalyst *ONLY* when a newer release will come up from DELL support site. They are stuck at 2013 drivers, these are pretty old, and i am scared they can cause other problems with Win8.1 too.

Please DELL, give us a better experience, not let us to waste all the time trying to fix your buggy drivers!

Hope this helps anyone,

Paolo Marani, Italy

7 Posts

October 10th, 2014 22:00

You can try this:

1. Uninstall AMD driver

http://oi62.tinypic.com/99nn0k.jpg

2. Restart computer

3. Install AMD driver

http://www.dell.com/support/home/ag/en/agdhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=P28NG

4. Restart computer

1 Message

November 19th, 2014 05:00

Hello everybody,

My Dell Inspiron was in trouble everytime it Suspended/Hibernated. Unable to come back without turning off/on again.

I found this link, from Dell Brazil and after following it´s instructions, things run smoothly.

Worth to remember that english speakers can always use Google Translator.

[View: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> ]

Hope it helps! Best!

João Mário

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 30th, 2013 02:00

Hi Boombob7 ,

I would suggest you to reinstall the Video card driver on the system to check for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 00:00

Hi Boombob7,

hi DELL-RAVI CH,

same problem here. Is there a solution yet?

Re-installing video card drivers won't work.

I followed these steps aswell: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19496673.aspx

Though it is a verified answer, it does not solve the problem.

Regards,

Timo

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 15:00

Hi Timo and Dell-Ravi,

Still having the same problem. The video reinstall didn't help.

Boom

4 Posts

January 28th, 2014 03:00

Is there anyone else have  this problem and how to fix it?

Also is there a way to set the keyboard and or mouse to awake the laptop instead of using the power button?

2 Posts

January 31st, 2014 09:00

Same problem here, nothing helps.  Only keeping laptop running all the time otherwise reboot is required after closing cover or getting in sleep mode (where laptop actually doesn't sleep).

Dell please provide solution or give me back my money! 

4 Posts

January 31st, 2014 10:00

I have the same problem with my 17R 5737, entering the standby modus (by closing the lid or pressing the power button) gets the laptop in some form of standby, but the fan keeps active and the screen goes black. On the front the outer 2 leds keep turned on, the 2 inner side leds go dark.

Already tried several video drivers, no success.

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 10:00

Same problem here in Holland. New R15 5537 (Win 8.1, 64 bit) refuses to go asleep properly. 2 outer lights remain on; the 2 middle ones finally go out. No way to restart the Dell except a hard reboot (pressing power button 5 seconds). Diagnostics were all OK. Drivers are all original. Windows update ran and installed some files.  The Dell Service desk tried to find out whether I had wrong drivers. Nope. He looked at powercfg options; apparently this Dell cannot wake up from S1 or S2, but should be able to sleep/wake in S3 (whatever this means??)

He thought of a problematic Ethernet network driver or Intel Management Engine Interface as he had experienced something similar on his Dell (!) but could not fix it. He finally offered to return the system to its original state (blaming me that I had created a special partition for my data). I refused the offer as it would mean 2 days of reinstalling programs and backup data.

Dell/Microsoft, please fix this! Cannot put my Dell to sleep, and have to close Windows every time!

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 13:00

I think i've "fixed" the problem:

I immeditately replaced the harddisk with an own SSD drive, and installed a clean Windows 8.1 installation on the SSD drive. I've downloaded all of Dells driver on the website, after that I noticed the problems with the standby function.

Spending the whole weekend furterly investigating the problem i've decided to switch the SSD drive with the originally installed drive, with Dell's Windows 8.1 installation on it. The standy functioned this time!

After that i've cloned the original hard drive to my SSD drive (wasn't so easy; I managed it with Acronis True Image 2014, there a not many programs which can clone GPT/uefi disks at this moment)

Again the standby function worked like a charm this time. I deleted most of Dells installed bloatware, and I'm now using my Inspirion 17R 5737 happily :)

Coming to a conclusion: It has to be a driver problem, there is a driver present in the preinstalled Dell Windows 8.1 environment that isn't available on the downloads section.

February 6th, 2014 06:00

I have the same problem too with my inspiron5537. It doesnt happen every time but its happened 4 times in the past week ( ive only had this laptop for a week). Basically it wont open up after sleeping, so i try press power button to wake it up but nothing happens. As a result ive had to force shut down the computer and i think that has really slowed my computer down. Sometimes i cannot even get to windows 8 screen as its still stuck in the loading phase of booting and once again, ive had to shut it down after 10 minutes of loading. 

8 Posts

February 7th, 2014 15:00

This seems to be related to http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19541648/20514400.aspx#20514400.

For me, a clean uninstall (including "delete driver software" when uninstalling the driver from the device manager) and consequent installation of the win 8.1 drivers from the dell website for hd graphics and amd radeon cured the standby issue, albeit at the price of not getting the radeon 8850m to work...

With the amd mobility driver from the amd-website, 3D performance is OK, but sleep doesn't work :-(

Definitely a driver issue.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2014 12:00

Give me a break! This can't be true! Its Dell's problem to fix the problem. I just needed a new Notebook and decided for Dell because they have been very reliable. I didn't have the problem with Windows 8.0 but since the update 8.1, I just cannot hibernate or send the Notebook on Standby.

Dear Dell technicians, please fix this problem.

Thanks.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2014 03:00

OK. The only thing that works is when you go to the drivers download on Dell and reload all update. Start with the BIOS and than the two Video drivers.

The problem seems to pop up when you update Windows. It replaces the origional Dell drivers with the generic once from Microsoft.

No garantee, but it worked on my Inspiron 17R after about 3 weeks of fighting around.

No Events found!