Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2013 06:00

Dell Inspiron M5030 Black Screen When Installing Windows 8.1 on "Getting Devices Ready"

Dell Inspiron M5030

I had Windows 7 installed and working perfectly but i wanted to install Windows 8.1 i tried a fresh install first (also tried to upgrade from windows 7). Every thing installs fine but when it reboots for the first time the windows logo comes up and "Getting Devices Ready %" Then the screen goes black.

Ive tried:
-To let is sit for awhile to see if it would come back and i get nothing after hours 
-I plugged in a Monitor with no response (also tried to close the lid to put to sleep and does go to sleep)
-I shut it down and tried to boot to Safe Mode but it says Windows can not boot to safe mode because windows installation has not finished

I can boot to my windows repair and go to the recovery command prompt but dont know what to do. It seems like a video driver problem the laptop has a AMD Radeon HD 4200. if thers any why to install the driver before Getting devices ready? Please Help!! 

1 Message

September 25th, 2014 22:00

I had the same problem and did this and it worked with no problem....The idea is to slipstream the updated drivers into the ISO/DVD. The drivers that came with the W8.1 DVD dont work well as I was getting the BSOD upon install.

1. Download Winreducer and install all 3rd party software it requires.  Look in the howto.pdf

2. Download the latest AMD Catalyst Drivers from AMD's site (not beta).  Listed as Windows 8 drivers i think.  

3. Extract the files to temp dir.

4. Copy the files/drivers from the temp dir (packages\drivers\display\w86a_inf) and the sub dir (B149756) to the winreducer drivers dir (work\integrate\drivers\x64).  So in the x64 dir you should have the cats, msi, infs, and the b149756.

5.  Run winreducer.  Make sure you have handy an iso of the Windows 8.1 DVD.

6.  After you mount your iso, you will be taken to the options and features screen.  You will see presets, appearance, features....on the top.   Leave all options alone EXCEPT the drivers location under System.  Change that to x\WORK\INTEGRATE\DRIVERS\x64.  Dont forget to change the x to your proper location.

7.  Click finish.  Save as iso. Apply.  It will save the modified iso into the winreducer folder.  

8.  Burn and install.  

9. After you are done installing, install the FULL driver package you downloaded in step 2 by running the setup.exe in main dir.

10.  Thank me LOL

That worked for me on an Inspiron M5030.  I hope my answer is detailed enough.  

6 Posts

January 20th, 2015 16:00

SHATTY2323!
Thank you so much!!

I followed your instructions and it worked for me !!  

I now have win 8.1 on my M5030!  

Kudos!

2 Posts

May 14th, 2015 09:00

Works with Windows 10 Technical preview also.

1 Message

January 9th, 2014 22:00

Why has there been no answer to this post in over a month? 

I am having the same problem that Scottyost is having. The Microsoft upgrade check said that it should not be a problem. Just some application issues that would need to get resolved. You site is incomplete regarding the outcome of this update. http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=&l=&s=&docid=575111&dgc=SM&cid=260354&lid=4823006 should have the updated KCS status of this error.

The problem looks like it is just related to the video card. So what is Dell planning on doing about this issue? After initial load everything looks like it is starting up with the final install. However once it is about to switch to the GUI from the boot loader it sticks at a black screen. HDD is running and blinks ever so often. F8 key does not work during an install so there is no way to get to a safe mode. Is there a fix for this issue or did we just purchase an Apple product? Who pays for the operating system that doesn't install. Microsoft or Dell. This laptop is onle 3 years old and it can't even get upgraded once??

What's going on Dell you used to make good computers that I would recommend. Please respond to this.

2 Posts

January 10th, 2014 03:00

I was able to to do on this computer by noon installing windows 8 first then use Microsoft app store to upgrade to 8.1 then active with key. For some reason windows 8.1 didn't have the graphic drivers supported for this laptop but windows 8 has all the Microsoft graphic drivers in it so it worked just make sure you update your graphic driver before the update to 8.1. Hope this helps, worked for me

1 Message

July 6th, 2014 07:00

Can you tell me which driver version you installed please?

1 Message

July 30th, 2015 20:00

I have windows 7 (SP1) and I can not upgrade to windwos 10 says the nx (in bios) this off

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 19:00

Worked great! I would not have figured this out without your help.

1 Message

January 14th, 2016 03:00

Shatty2323 Please Send me  link For Windows 8.1 (With latest AMD drivers) , I trying but Winreducer 7 didn't support with all Windows 8.1.iso    

January 24th, 2016 12:00

M5030 x64 x86 video and HDD caddy drivers for slipstream. https://mega.nz/#!F4Q2ALzD

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 08:00

I have created a video tutorial on how to slipstream the Video Driver needed for Windows 10 setup to get past the black screen issue.  You can watch it here: www.youtube.com/watch

2 Posts

June 5th, 2016 12:00

Please need encryption password on mega

2 Posts

June 6th, 2016 22:00

Need password encryption for mega, thanks

1 Message

March 21st, 2020 15:00

YOU LEGEND!

Thank you sooo MUCH

I followed the youtube video and it solved my annoying issue.

Same laptop - Dell M5030.  thanks again!

No Events found!