Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2013 18:00

Dell XPS 8500 Windows 8 UEFI Installation Boot Loop "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error."

Hi, I just bought a Dell XPS 8500 a few months ago and recently wanted to do a clean install of Windows 8.  I have two Windows 8 USB drives.  One is a Windows 8 Pro that I bought and the other is a Windows 8 standard that came from Dell.

I only have one MSATA SSD drive installed in the machine.
When I try to do a clean install, all the steps works fine.  It proceeds fine to the last step where it copies all the files.  Then, it will give me a 10 second count down timer and restart the machine.  After the restart, I get the following error message:
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed.  To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.
When I click OK, the computer restarts itself and I get the same error message again.  It's like an infinite boot loop.  I have also tried the following:

• Install Windows 8 Pro upgrade USB drive, same results
  • Install Windows 8 standard Dell USB drive, same results
  • Install Windows 8 standard Dell DVD ROM drive, same results
I've also tried all of the steps above with a 300gb SATA HDD that I have.  Unfortunately, same results.  I've also completely powered down the system and waited about 20 seconds.  When it starts up, it gives me the same error message again.
Also, the BIOS settings are all set to default.   The BIOS boot mode is set to UEFI (as is in the default setup).
I need to fix this soon so that I can get back to work on this computer.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated, thank you!!!

October 18th, 2013 02:00

Hi funkmasterta,

I will suggest you to check the BIOS settings provided below to see if you have similar settings. If not you may try these settings and then install the operating system.

• Go to the BIOS screen by pressing F2 at the Dell logo 4-5 times.
  • Navigate to ‘Advanced Tab’ and select ‘Onboard Device Configuration’.
  • Set ‘SATA Mode’ to ‘AHCI’.
  • Navigate to ‘Boot’ tab and set ‘Secure Boot’ to ‘Enable’ and ‘Load Legacy OPROM’ to ‘Disable’.
  • Boot Mode should be set to ‘UEFI’.
  • Save the settings and Exit from the BIOS.

Once the system restarts, Go to the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ by pressing F12 at the Dell logo 6-7 times.

Select the boot device under UEFI to boot.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

5 Posts

December 15th, 2013 09:00

Hi

I've the same problem! I tried your suggestion above. Everything was already set at what you suggested.

Any more advice?

Thanks

Paul

68 Posts

January 7th, 2014 11:00

Hi Kuldeep, I did everything as you instructed and I am still getting an installation boot loop?

Please help!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 7th, 2014 21:00

If you don't need Secure Boot, I suggest enabling Legacy Boot instead. Secure Boot is very problematic.

No Events found!