Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 31st, 2013 05:00

Dell recovery media

Hi, I bought an Inspiron SE 7720 last month. It has windows 8.

The laptop is under warranty till Dec2013.

Before taking the recovery disc I had partitioned the harddisk.

Without deleting the partition, I just reduced the size of C: and created a new drive D: from the unallocated space.

This was using Easeus partition manager.

However, now I need to restore my laptop to the default factory settings. Please let me know how can I restore my laptop to the default factory settings?

I am not able to create the recovery disk.

Please take note that I had created partitions using same process as mentioned above in my 2 other Samsung and HP laptops, where I could restore the systems back to its factory state without the CD's.

May 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi jarko_jarvis,

Dell Backup and Recovery can recover the Operating system or backup from the recovery partition. To recover the OS from the recovery partition, follow these steps:

Note : These steps lead to complete data loss, please backup important data before proceeding further.

1. Plug in the AC adapter.
  2. Power on the laptop and log in to your account.
  3. Press Windows + I button on keyboard to bring the settings
  4. Click on Power button on right hand side bottom corner of the screen.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key on the keyboard and click Restart from the options provided. 
  6. Click Troubleshoot from the options onscreen after restart.

7. Click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.

8. The system restarts and comes back up, click Next on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen. 

9. The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click Next once this is done. 

10. You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next

11. You will be prompted to backup your files, if needed do so by selecting the option Yes, backup my personal files (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files

12. The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted. 

13. Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any further questions.

June 1st, 2013 21:00

Hi Sundeep,

Thanks for your reply. This was a good info I could not find in any forums. I was able to restore to factory state but not the partitions. The partitions I created were retained. (Not an issue)

(I was lucky that my system was booting, as the steps you told were after the system booted. Restoring back, had it not booted, might have to be posted in a new topic, Isn't it?)

However even after restoring, I am not able to create neither the Startup rescue disk nor the Recovery media. I am getting this error message as the attached image.

If I select USB it is showing this error as above, and if I select Discs, It is saying "Burning engine did not start, Please restart app..."

Tried several times, ran all the tests available, did windows update, dell update etc but in vein. Please help solve.

3.1K Posts

June 4th, 2013 13:00

Hi jarko_jarvis,,

I am replying on behalf of DELL-Sundeep B.  You would need to delete all the partitions except the OS partition. This needs to be done using Disk Management. When there would be only one partition, i.e. C drive, download and install Dell Backup and Recovery on your computer. 

This will create an image of the existing state of the operating system and save it on a separate recovery partition. You can also use this image to burn your own customized recovery disc. This disc later can be used to perform recovery on you computer. 

Hope this information helps.

June 6th, 2013 10:00

Hi, 

I did the steps as you said. I uninstalled the old version and installed the new version.

But the setup is not completing, its saying 'Setup error 5'

Please suggest.

3.1K Posts

June 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi jarko_jarvis,

Please share a screenshot of Disk Management window. Will take it further.

June 8th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

Please find the screenshots.

I deleted again the 900 MB volume as in the screenshot DiskManagement.

And then I tried the setup again, I got the errors as in the screenshots DellBackupError1 and DellBackupError2.

June 8th, 2013 05:00

3.1K Posts

June 8th, 2013 11:00

Hi jarko_jarvis,

Thank you for providing the information; appreciate it. You've mentioned that you deleted that 900 MB partition. However, in the screenshot, it still shows 900 MB partition. Would suggest you to delete both the 900 MB and 8.63 GB partiton, then merge the unallocated space with OS (C:) partition. Once this is done, try to install Dell Backup and Recovery on your computer.

Please share the findings.

June 9th, 2013 06:00

Hi Appu,

I deleted all the partitions you mentioned, I merged the unallocated with C: drive. Please find the disk management image.

Even then I am getting this error as in the image, when I open the dell backup and recovery software.

Please suggest.

3.1K Posts

June 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi jarko_jarvis,

Thank you for the response. I was wondering what happens when you click on OK when you receive the error message. I tried to install Dell Backup and Recovery in one of lab systems. I did receive the same error. However, I click on OK and the setup was complete and all the functions were accessible.

June 12th, 2013 02:00

Hi Appu,

Once I click OK, the application just doesn't open. I again uninstalled and tried installing the latest version, but in vein.

Please suggest how to go further.

3.1K Posts

June 12th, 2013 05:00

Hi jarko_jarvis,

This seems to be a software issue. Would suggest you to re-install the operating system using the steps as suggested by DELL-Sundeep B.

Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

Once, this is done, please try to install the program on your computer.

No Events found!