Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2013 21:00

Does anyone have a Windows RT Recovery Drive for Dell XPS10

Hello everyone,

I upgraded my Dell XPS10 from Windows RT 8 to Windows RT 8.1 Preview. It has 2 serious issues:
1) Windows RT is not activated. (this is really painful)
2) Device gets stuck at boot logo.

Now I'm trying to use a USB recovery drive to roll my XPS10 back to Windows RT 8. Unfortunately I failed to use the recovery files from Microsoft Surface RT, XPS10 could not boot with those files.

So I'm posting this thread to see if anyone owns a Dell XPS10 and created a USB recovery drive on Windows RT 8 (NOT on Windows RT 8.1 Preview). I would be very much appreciated if you can share your recovery files with me to bring my XPS10 back alive...

Thank you very much.

Allan from China

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 6th, 2013 16:00

16 Posts

September 11th, 2013 10:00

I've been trying to restore my 8.1 preview XPS10 to 8.0 using the recovery media I created before installing 8.1 but without success...  always looks promising but then prompts me to insert the recovery media - even though the USB stick is inserted :(

I've tried someone else's recovery media too (just in case mine was corrupt) but still no luck.

Would love to flatten my XPS10 ready for the RTM release of 8.1 but short of sending it back to Dell, I'm not sure how.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

September 11th, 2013 15:00

There is no way to return to win 8 RT after installing 8.1. The FAQ's have this warning--

Warning

•               If you're running Windows RT you won't be able to restore  Windows RT after you install Windows RT 8.1 Preview.            You'll be able to upgrade to the final version of Windows RT 8.1.

• If installation of Windows RT 8.1 Preview fails on your PC, you may need to contact your PC manufacturer.

16 Posts

September 12th, 2013 01:00

Kind of makes it a little pointless telling you to create the recovery media before you start the 8.1 installation then doesn't it!

Oh well, just have to hope that I have an option for a 'destructive' upgrade to RTM when it becomes available...

Thanks for your help

Nigel

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

September 21st, 2013 10:00

Win 8.1 is a complete reinstall of the operating system. You should be OK when you install it. If not you will have to contact Dell. BTW--RTM version is really just another preview. There will be a few more changes before the final version is released. 

1 Message

January 14th, 2014 14:00

I just got off of the phone with dell support.  They told me that they do not support the operating system and i would have to contact Microsoft support. 

No Events found!