Highlighted
DaveKaretnyk
1 Copper

English language pack or re-install Win8.1 English?

Jump to solution

I'm about to receive a Inspiron 17 7000, but due to my location it was only possible to buy a system with Windows 8.1 Pro Dutch language version only. I only want an English language interface on the laptop so I guess I have two choices

1) Get it up and running and then install the English language pack. And never use the Dutch ui again ;-)

2) Complete re-install with Windows 8.1 Pro English. I do have access to a license (I have a Microsoft MSDN subscription) so that's not a problem. But it's a while since I've done this and I've just starting reading about UEFI, Secure Boot, and so on. And more importantly I wonder if that messes up my warranty/maintenance in some way?

For simplicity, I'm tempted by the first option. But does it have limitations or restrictions compared to the second?

Appreciate any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: English language pack or re-install Win8.1 English?

Jump to solution

DaveKaretnyk,

It would be a lot easier on you to just install the English Language Pack.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

DaveKaretnyk,

It would be a lot easier on you to just install the English Language Pack.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
DaveKaretnyk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks - that works pretty much OK. At least to a level that I'm happy with.

The exceptions that I've seen are below (might be of interest to others).

1. During the initial installation/configuration of the laptop, the possibility of choosing different languages is given. This does not work. You need to get Windows fully up and running then install the language pack you want (English in my case).
  2. The login screen: text where password should be entered is still in Dutch.
  3. Windows Updates - the messages about number of patches being installed, reminder not to switch off until complete and so on - always in Dutch.
  4. The 'hover tool tip' for the Audio applet in the system tray is in Dutch.
  5. I had one application that was not responding - the title on the main window of the application gets modified to say ...not responding... - that was still in Dutch. Unfortunately I cannot remember the application I saw the problem for! lol

But overall, works reasonably well. I'll stick with this for now and install a 'pure English version' of the OS in a year or so when I also switch to an SSD ;-)

Thanks again!

0 Kudos