Highlighted
Shadow186
1 Copper

Formatting my hard drive and installing a fresh new copy of windows 8

I have a DELL XPS 8500.  I would like to format my pc by using the factory image which is stored on a usb flash pen drive.   Once I enter the bios and go to BOOT, I find the following boot priority list:

1) UEFI: Windows Boot Manager

2) USB Storage Device

3) Internal ODD Devices

4) USB Floppy Device

5) Onboard NIC Device

Can someone please tell me which device I have to put first, second, third, fourth and fifth so that I will be able to format the hard drive?

Should I put USB Storage Device first?  Since I am going to use a usb flash pen drive to install a fresh copy of windows 8?

Thanks for your help in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ieee488
5 Iridium

RE: Formatting my hard drive and installing a fresh new copy of windows 8

0 Kudos

Hello Shadow186,

Please refer to the article provided by Ieee488, which has has the step by step information on how to restore or re-install Microsoft Windows on Dell PC.  

Post re-installation of the operating system, please ensure to install the drivers in the correct order. You may also refer to this video: http://dell.to/1fvdnx4 (This Video does not show the step of installing System Desktop/notebook software. This is the software that needs to be installed first).

**Note: Please ensure to back up all the data from your computer before performing the PC Restore as it would erase everything from your computer.

Thanks & Regards
Allan D
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click "Yes".

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

The usb drive must be bootable. Test the drive first--Plug it into a usb port and reboot the computer. Tap F12 immediately after starting the reboot until you see the Boot Menu and select the drive. If it boots to the usb thumb drive, you should be able to access the recovery partition on the hard drive or other recovery options. A factory image cannot be just copied to the flash drive. You should have used a program like Dell Backup and Recovery or win 8's program to make a boot disk with the system image or with access to the image on the hard drive--depending on the program you used. Do NOT format the drive before booting to the recovery drive. You should also be able to use Dell Backup and Recovery program to access the system image you made.

You cannot change the boot menu order in the bios. The boot drive is selected from the Boot Menu.

0 Kudos