Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2012 05:00

How can I downgrade to Windows 7?

I've spent hours upon hours searching all over Google for ways to downgrade and all I can find are either articles that HP changed it's downgrade rights or tutorials that make absolutely no sense to me that just branch off into so many tutorials I get confused and lost and flustered. 

I just don't like some of the changes made in Windows 8 and some of the games/programs I use aren't usable anymore. I got a Dell computer pre-installed with Windows 8 last week and I know that Microsoft released rights to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro and/or Windows Vista.

I just don't know how...

Someone please help me? >_<

943 Posts

November 21st, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for contacting the community.

The version of Windows that you had on your PC before you upgraded won’t be there anymore. To get it back, you'll need to reinstall the previous version of Windows from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC. Typically, this is on a DVD.

For further help you can refer to the below mentioned link:

http://bit.ly/PSGwvj

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

November 21st, 2012 06:00

My computer didn't have a previous version of WIndows on it. I bought it less than 2 weeks ago and it came pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro.

I also never got a recovery CD/DVD. Just a drivers/utilities CD.

943 Posts

November 21st, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Please let me know the model number of the system which you are using.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

943 Posts

November 21st, 2012 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to inform you that you can install all the versions of windows 7 on this system, in order to install windows 7 on this system you have to purchase the disk separately.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

November 21st, 2012 08:00

Inspiron 17R 5720

November 21st, 2012 13:00

My point is, I'm supposed to be able to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro or Windows Vista for free without buying anything. I just don't know how. -_-

943 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

You can get Windows 8 disc for free of cost, because it was shipped along with the system. If you want to install windows 7 or windows vista you have to buy it separately.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

November 22nd, 2012 01:00

I didn't get a Windows 8 disc sent to me. =/

www.microsoft.com/.../downgrade_rights.aspx

^Page says I am allowed to downgrade if I purchased a PC that came pre-installed with windows 8

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 05:00

I have been wondering about this, customers with Windows 8 preinstalled don't get a Windows 8 Recovery DVD with their system.

German and UK customers have to phone technical support to ask for one and some got charged $60 for the DVD (which is way more than Microsoft charge for a WIndows 8 Upgrade License and a DVD), US customers have an online form and weren't charged.

The steps from Dell are even more vague with respect to downgrade rights. Its even harder to get Windows 8 professional and request downgrade rights. I have Dell to make an online form with fair/fixed pricing.

See my poll here and IdeaStorm idea:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19476992.aspx

http://www.ideastorm.com/idea2ReadIdea?Id=087700000008lKJAAY&v=1353335269630 

Promote both so Dell will actually do something about it. Thanks :)

140 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 22:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

You can get Windows 8 disc for free of cost, because it was shipped along with the system. If you want to install windows 7 or windows vista you have to buy it separately.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

I filled out the form (for requesting Win 7 Reinstallation disk - no form specifically for Win 8 requests) on Dell's support site to get a Win 8 Pro disk sent to me. I got an email from Dell stating that because I chose to buy a system with no Reinstallation media included (not true as Dell did NOT give me a choice about ordering media with the system) I would have to PAY for a Reinstallation disk. The email gave a phone number to call and did not say how much the media would cost.

I called this number earlier this week and Dell's phone system routed me to Sm/Med Business Expired Warranty dept by mistake. That technican told me that MIcrosoft has forbidden the OEMs to provide Win 8 Reinstallation disks because there is a "new way" to do a CLEAN install of Windows 8. He gave me the phone number for Employee Software Support Program (MPP) and transferred me to them saying they would walk me through how to do a clean install of Win 8 without media. The wait time when I was transferred was over one-half hour (because you are supposed to call between 8AM-5PM CST in the USA and it was about 5:30PM CST when i was transferred). So, I hung up and will call after the holiday during the correct time period.

So, how do I do what you have said and get a Win 8 Pro disk free?

As for downgrade rights, the Expired Warranty tech told me that, of course, I could downgrade.  He said many new purchasers have called to exercise downgrade rights on desktops.  He said Employee Software Support Program (MPP) would explain how to do it and it will cost me NOTHING to do it and that I can later upgrade back to Win 8 Pro (perhaps after Microsoft's first Service Pack for Win 8).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 7th, 2012 13:00

Windows 8 or WIndows 8 professional. Downgrade rights are only applicable to Windows 8 Professional.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=H5sJz714tPP

If you have WIndows 8 Professional, you should ask Dell for Windows 7 Professional Reinstallation media.

To use the media you may need to perform the following BIOS operations:

For systems with only USB 3.0 ports follow the instructions Disable USB 3.0 functionality to install Windows 7 from a USB Flash Drive.

For systems purchased late 2012 or newer Secure Boot may need to be disabled in the BIOS setup see Disable Secure Boot. I would advise sticking to UEFI if using the 64 bit version of Windows however you will need to load the latest SATA drivers. If you still can't boot from the Windows 7 Reinstallation media you can try to disable UEFI see Disable Secure Boot and UEFI. UEFI is only supported on the 64 bit version of Windows Vista, 7 and 8.

Then you should follow my wiki A Clean install of Windows 7.

1 Message

December 7th, 2012 13:00

I got a new Laptop today a Pentium with windows 8 on it. It is dreadful and 4 hours later I am ready to bin it. What is even more disappointing is that I got a new laptop from work yesterday with windows 7 on it and after 5 minutes I could fly it. I could not buy a new laptop with windows 7 on it as well but this is the last dell computer we will buy in this house.

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2012 22:00

http://tech.sixcolumns.com/2012/12/how-to-downgrade-windows-8-to-windows-7-easily-complete-tutorial/

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2012 22:00

This guide worked for me!

2 Posts

June 25th, 2013 09:00

i have same machine and want to downgrade , i have win 7 dvd , but F12 , F10,F2 all do not work on boot ? any ideas guys i tried hard reset ,

No Events found!