Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2016 13:00

How to reinstall on new hard drive

The hard drive on my customer's Inspiron One 2330 died. Obviously, there will not be a recovery partition on the new HDD that I've installed. Since the Microsoft Windows 8 activation key is embedded in the BIOS, how will I be able to activate the OS if I install from a DVD if there is no recovery logic to tell the install routine where to find the key?

Thanks! 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 25th, 2016 15:00

The Product Key is embedded in the UEFI BIOS. It'll be automatically input by Windows 10 TH2 installation media. If you are asked for a product key however then you have used the wrong Edition of Windows 10 TH2 so should use Windows 10 TH2 Single Language:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

Note Microsoft have stated the end date for the free upgrade is in ~3 days so you need to clean install Windows 10 TH2 and activate online before this date.

17 Posts

August 4th, 2016 01:00

In that case, you can please try some third party backup software and with those kinds of software, the issue of windows 8 restore to new hard drive will be resolved easily.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 5th, 2016 14:00

Great thanks for reporting back your results. In my further testing nothing changed on the 29th. Ignore anything Microsoft said about 1 year. Windows 7 and Windows 8.x OEM keys are treated as Windows 10 keys. :)

2 Posts

August 5th, 2016 14:00

Thanks Philip! That one worked without a problem. I actually also got one to activate AFTER the 29th that was never activated to begin with (or so it would seem). It stuck at 99% and so on the 31st I restarted the upgrade from the Assistant and when it asked for a key there was an option to mark it as already activated prior to the July 29 cut off. I chose that and viola! The upgrade completed successfully and was activated. I'm surprised that that PC actually took the upgrade as it was pretty ancient! ;-)

Thanks again!

No Events found!