ShadRocker
2 Bronze

How to reinstall on new hard drive

Jump to solution

The hard drive on my customer's Inspiron One 2330 died. Obviously, there will not be a recovery partition on the new HDD that I've installed. Since the Microsoft Windows 8 activation key is embedded in the BIOS, how will I be able to activate the OS if I install from a DVD if there is no recovery logic to tell the install routine where to find the key?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Philip_Yip
7 Thorium

RE: How to reinstall on new hard drive

Jump to solution

The Product Key is embedded in the UEFI BIOS. It'll be automatically input by Windows 10 TH2 installation media. If you are asked for a product key however then you have used the wrong Edition of Windows 10 TH2 so should use Windows 10 TH2 Single Language:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

Note Microsoft have stated the end date for the free upgrade is in ~3 days so you need to clean install Windows 10 TH2 and activate online before this date.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Philip_Yip
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

The Product Key is embedded in the UEFI BIOS. It'll be automatically input by Windows 10 TH2 installation media. If you are asked for a product key however then you have used the wrong Edition of Windows 10 TH2 so should use Windows 10 TH2 Single Language:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

Note Microsoft have stated the end date for the free upgrade is in ~3 days so you need to clean install Windows 10 TH2 and activate online before this date.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
syokosan
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

In that case, you can please try some third party backup software and with those kinds of software, the issue of windows 8 restore to new hard drive will be resolved easily.

0 Kudos
ShadRocker
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks Philip! That one worked without a problem. I actually also got one to activate AFTER the 29th that was never activated to begin with (or so it would seem). It stuck at 99% and so on the 31st I restarted the upgrade from the Assistant and when it asked for a key there was an option to mark it as already activated prior to the July 29 cut off. I chose that and viola! The upgrade completed successfully and was activated. I'm surprised that that PC actually took the upgrade as it was pretty ancient! ;-)

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

Great thanks for reporting back your results. In my further testing nothing changed on the 29th. Ignore anything Microsoft said about 1 year. Windows 7 and Windows 8.x OEM keys are treated as Windows 10 keys. :)

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos