This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 17th, 2014 10:00

Install Windows 8.1 64 bit on Latitude E6510

Hello forum,

I failed several times at installing Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit on my Latitude E6510 (from July 2010). Windows 7 Pro 32 bit was pre-installed when I bought the laptop. As I recently upgraded the RAM from 3 to 8 GB, I would like to use a 64 bit system now.

I tried to boot from the installation DVD and the windows flag appears. After several seconds, a message on a blue background pops up: ":( Your PC ran into a problem. We are collecting some information and then we will restart it for you." That is the message, as fas as I can remember. It is only shown for one second and then the laptop reboots automatically. I have got no chance to get into an installation menu.

I already tried a BIOS update from A03 to the most recent version A16 with no success. Boot mode is set to legacy at the moment, I also tried UEFI temporarily, with no change...

Any help would be appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 17th, 2014 12:00

There is no such thing as 32 bit to 64 bit upgrade for ANY version of windows.

You would have to do a clean install.

The issue you are having is more like a BAD DVDRW copy of windows not reading properly.

When you have a non burned copy of windows or Bootable USB flash install copy WIN8 and WIN8.1 install just fine without issue on all of the Latitude E Series.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 17th, 2014 14:00

Sorry, my description was a bit misleading: It was my intention to do a clean install. This is why I want to boot from the DVD: to do a install from scratch.

Unfortunately, I do not have a non burned copy of windows here. I am a student and downloaded a Windows 8.1 iso file from the MSDN AA website. I already downloaded it a second time, but the error still occurs. I also tried to create a USB stick from the iso file, but it behaves exactly like the DVD and shows the described error.

So to my mind, if the iso file is not corrupt, there must be a BIOS option or something like that which causes the error?!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2014 15:00

I finally solved this problem by replacing my new 8 GB RAM with the old 3 GB RAM modules which were pre-installed when I bought the laptop. Afterwards, Windows 8.1 boots flawlessly from the DVD.

I really do not know how these two things can be associated with each other, but maybe this post can be helpful, if someone has the same problem in future.

No Events found!