Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2015 08:00

Is Dell Customer Support so careless to me?

Nobody would Help me downgrade my Dell Inspiron from Win8.1 pro to windows 7 pro.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN294589/en

Is it a useless post? http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN294589/en

well, I purchased Dell Inpiron 3542 with Windows 8.1 Pro OEM

and been using it since half a year or so, and now I want to downgrade to windows 7 Pro because that's faster and more comfortable to me.. check this article, yes its free of cost but just for OEMs

support.microsoft.com/.../2832566,

Now I'm wasting 2 hours of my time already while debating with Microsoft customer support as well as Dell Support on phone again and again. and they just won't cooperate at all, whats the matter? aren't us your legitimate customers, now please some one kind enough there to help?

I'l send Express Code or Service Tag in private message, just some one please help me out.

Thanks

135 Posts

November 14th, 2015 22:00

DRZARAK,

You are absolutely correct that your purchase of Windows 8.1 Pro pre installed on your Dell computer gives you the right to 'downgrade' to Windows 7 Pro.   The Microsoft artical that you linked to states that quite plainly.  It is a bit surprising that someone could misinterpret that.

But there is no magic wand that makes this downgrade happen.  It requires that you completely wipe your current installation of Windows and reinstall the new version yourself, followed by all the necessary driver, Windows updates, application software, and your data.  A very time consuming undertaking, more so if you do not do it regularly.  

But that Microsoft article also states "Neither Microsoft nor the OEM is obligated to provide media for the downgrade."  In other words you have to obtain the software media yourself (as well as all necessary drivers that are readily available for download from Dell).  The article also details what to do should your new installation of Windows not automatically be activated (call Microsoft about activation as instructed in the Windows Activation dialog - explain that you are downgrading 8.1 Pro to 7 and they will probably ask for your 8.1 activation code from the sticker found on the PC).

I have two suggestions on how you may want to proceed to rid yourself of Windows 8.1.  The simplest is to upgrade for free to Windows 10.  This 'in-place upgrade' can be done directly over your current version of Windows and it will keep all of you application software, printers, etc. in tact.  Alternatively, if you really want Windows 7 Pro, then I suggest you purchase a Dell Branded Windows 7 Pro recovery disk from that auction site (not mentioned because the forum holds my posts for review if I insert a link - even links to Dell's own site, lol).  The recovery disks sell for under $25.  It will take quite a bit of work to backup your data, install Windows and al the drivers, and your application software but it certainly will work. I can tell you first hand this is exactly what I did to my father's 3542 the day he brought it home.

One additional thing you could consider if you choose to install Windows 7 is to buy a 250gb Solid State Disk drive (about $75 these days) and replace the current hard drive with the new Solid State Disk.  This would not only provide significantly increased performance but it will preserve your old Windows installation and your data should you want to resort back to it (by reinstalling it internally into this laptop or putting the old mechanical hard drive into a USB enclosure that you connect to this laptop via a USB port.   If happy with the new install you can reconnect the old drive and use it to copy your old data to the new Solid State Disk.

Hope this helps.

*edited to correct typos and language about upgrading to an SSD

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 14th, 2015 12:00

You don't have any downgrade rights. Those had to be purchased when you buy a computer. You must buy windows 7 and install it as well as find all the necessary drivers. It would be better to upgrade to windows 10 for free now.

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

7 Posts

November 15th, 2015 01:00

Hello Catheleen, You are right indeed, I was thinking about changing to SSD, Well now what I want from Dell is at least care for their customer. My Laptop is still in warranty and what I asked them is If they can't give me a downgrade support than atleast provide me the installation Media, but They said they are prohibited by Microsoft to provide windows 7 media now, I said just provide me a reinstallation disc for windows 8(Recovery Media) because the Reason of all of my headache is Recovery Partition provided by Dell on my hard-drive is totally messed up, I don't know what happened but suddenly my windows 8.1 pro Reset Refresh does not work at all. So Dell Can You just send me Recovery Media for my Windows 8.1 Pro which fixes the Recovery Environment and My PC. I extended my warranty just to get support but whats the use If Dell just doesn't care.

135 Posts

November 15th, 2015 13:00

Well they don't care.  You are beating a dead horse if that is what you want from them.

On top of a $16,000 Server order that has been in production for weeks without any explanation for the delay, and offers from a moderator to look into it only to ignore me for days, my other recent experience with dell was the replacement of a msata drive in a laptop that was under their highest level service/support plan have a tech come out and replace the part and leave the machine unbootable... and 4.5 hours on the phone still did not return it to the original factory state.  But laptop support is one thing... it has been terrible for years.  Server sales/support going the same way is a real shock to me. 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 16th, 2015 00:00

You can perform downgrade rights but the issue is that Microsoft Removed the Download links for Windows 7 from Digital River which were the only Downloadable source of Windows 7 OEM installation media.

Installing Windows 7 at this stage is a step backwards. Plus it takes absolutely ages to update as no SP2 was released.

Go for a direct clean install of Windows 10 TH2 on your SSD instead. Ensure your UEFI BIOS is at the latest revision before proceeding:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

TH2 is much more refined than the original TH1.

7 Posts

November 16th, 2015 03:00

HI Philip. How are you, I have been on your guide site since more than a week and I got to admit you are doing so great stuff out there and here in forum you have been the most helping person even more then the dell team, Well can you do me a favor, can you ask Dell team or any member from Dell company to send me Recovery Media (Windows 8.1 Pro Reinstallation media), as my laptop is still in warranty, I purchased it from Pakistan and It was shipped to me July 2016, I have warranty till January 2016. Its Dell Inspiron 3542, There is no active Dell Support in Pakistan, nor the One and Only Live Chat Support option in Pakistan Dell Website is recognizing my Service Tag, Well can you Help? I need the recovery media really bad before warranty goes over.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 16th, 2015 11:00

I don't work for Dell. The only option you have is to call them.

However you can also Download Windows 8.1 Pro and prepare a UEFI Bootable USB...

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 17th, 2015 06:00

Dell media requests are for USA Canada and UK only.

Dell in the USA does not and will not ship to pakistan.

No Events found!