Highlighted
2 Bronze

Please help me with Windows Reinstall.

So, I got an Inspiron since last year, which came with Windows 8 pre-installed.

Then, as a computer engineering student, I wanted to explore the UNIX system and installed a Linux distro. Then I had Windows and Linux in it, as intended. But I didnt like the distro I installed, then I installed another one, and said that I wanted it to uninstall the previous Linux I had and install this one.

But, this new Linux distro ended up erasing EVERY OS I had installed. And I need Windows for college. So, I have used the "mediacreationtool.exe" to create the installation media so I could do a clean install of windows.

But, another problem came up, it asked for a Product Key, it didnt just automatically retrieve it from my motherboard Then ok, I tried what this guy said over here: 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19535839

Now I have installed Windows 8. BUT OF COURSE, a new problem appeared. There was no internet connection as Windows was trying to look for a Ethernet connection not Wi-Fi. And there is no "Wi-Fi Toggle Button" of any kind on it either. And, to sum it up, none of the keyboard functions work besides the sound adjust. I can't adjust brightness using the keyboard.

I'm very *** off and annoyed. When will this end? Please I need some help.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

RE: Please help me with Windows Reinstall.

See here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-w...

Then provide hardware IDs and your model of Inspiron e.g. Inspiron 5537:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-...

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks so much for your help, my friend! 

I've read both pages and watched the videos, I'll try that tomorrow. Just 1 thing: Am I supposed to reply to you with the hardware ID and model?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Just 1 thing: Am I supposed to reply to you with the hardware ID and model?

Only if you need help with system drivers.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well, I have succesfully installed the correct version of Windows 8.1. It hanst asked for a product key, so thank you for that.

But still, brightness function doesnt work and neither does the Wi-Fi. It just isnt available, no toggles or anything. So I'll send you my hardware ID and model.

Model: 

Inspiron 14 (3442, Early 2014)

Hardware IDs are in the attachment file.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hey sorry, but what should I do next?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just did all that and it still didn't work...

No Wi-Fi connection option. Plus Windows is asking for activation, even though I already did install it succesfully.

My entire vacations were trying to fix this thing. And college started days ago. 

I'll guess I'll just have to buy a new notebook just because of that. Amazing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Does the device manager still have errors, did you install all the drivers listed (any error messages during driver installation)?

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have received some error messages. I'm going to try installing 1 by 1 completely, that is, restarting the computer when it happens( after formatting and reinstalling Windows, which I just did ). Then i'm going to tell you if the same thing happens.

0 Kudos